Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Bore Debate

Old 04-27-2005, 07:04 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Big Bore Debate

Ok, so whats the skinny about my microgroove compared to a ballard rifling? Just keep my velocities down to around 1600 for a 405gr cast? Does hardness of the cast matter? What cast out there is a good combo of hardness but goes down the barrel good? I was looking at Beartooth. Anybody shoot Laser Cast thru with microgroove? I love em for target but not sure if they are hard enough for hunting.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Lyman manual for my bible. According to them and my black powder Mentor. A bhn of 15(hardness tested) it required for good accuracy from Shallow rifling. A cast buttle of 20-1 alloy will expand well. I haven't used the Lasrer Cast but I have shot some pretty soft bullets with fair results. Just watch for excess leading in the barrel. I try to error in the side of a little to soft and keep an eye out for leading The lube they use would be a factor although not as much with smokless powder. The fit of the bullet to the bore will affect leading as well. Its been hit or miss for me.

For more velocity look at some of the good Gas checked bullets. 1800-2200 can be obtained using gas checked bullets. a Mix of 5% antimony,5% tin and 90% lead will give a bhn of 15 and is a good alloy for rifle bullets. Most manufactures will list the alloy they use.

From what I can determine the depth of the rifling can determin the accuracy of cast bullets. The rifling needs to be deep enough to give the bullet the ability to engage it more firmly. Bullets that are so hard would have the same affect.(Can't engage)

There are some good cast bullet forums around that have some good advise. I don't cast many bullets myself and would rather buy them. I have to many irons in the fire most of the time.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:06 PM
bigcountry

Laser cast said they are 25 bhn. Diameter is .459" I might give them a try.

Old 04-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Let me know how you like them. I have been using the Montana Swaging bullets. I get them at Cabelas when I go through there.