Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TARGET FIFLE AND VARMIT RIFLE

Old 04-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Default TARGET FIFLE AND VARMIT RIFLE

I AM LOOKING FOR A RIFLE TO USE FOR SHOOTING TARGETS AND ALSO VARMITS MAINLY COYOTES. i WOULD LIKE A GUN THAT HAS SOME LONG RANGE SHOOTING AND I AM NOT THE TYPE OF PERSON WHO GETS A NEW ONE EVERY YEAR SO I WOULD LIKE A CALIBER WITH LONG BARREL LIFE. I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE .243 BUT I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THE BARREL LIFE ON THAT CALIBER. I AM GOING TO RELOAD ROUNDS SO PRICE ON BOX AMMO ISNT THAT IMPORTANT TO ME. ANY SUGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:05 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: TARGET FIFLE AND VARMIT RIFLE

Yea a 243 target fifle would get the job done. But a 25-06 Rifle would too. I havn't known too many people to burn out a 243.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:10 PM

For the longer barrel life I'd look at either a 243Win. or 6mm Rem. The 6mmRem. might
have just a very slight edge on the 243Win., but as you will be handloading the difference would be negligible. Though the 25-06 can be an excellent varmint rifle I suspect it would burn out a barrel a lot quicker than either of the 6mm cartridges. It also has substantially more recoil. Not a fun gun to shoot if you find yourself with an afternoon to kill in a priairie dog town. Personally, I'd go for the 243Win. I think it's probably the most accurate of the three also. Many a dog came to an end of his trail when I used one in Wyoming.
For varmint rifles I'd look at either the Ruger varmint rifle with laminated stock, or one of the stainless Remingtons with synthetic stk.
BTW, if you go for the 243Win., a bullet I found to shoot really good was the Sierra
85gr. BTHP. Half inch groups ( 5 shots ) were the norm. Nice too, this bullet is available
in a Federal Premium loading if you need to pick up a box.

ps: Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:31 PM

you would really like the .243. just about everyone i have owned or seen has shot very good.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:51 PM

If you plan to pick up the coyotes, I would go with a .22 centerfire like the .22-250 or .220 Swift. The .243 is a little hard on pelts.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

if saving pelts the 243 is too hard on them. a 22 250 will reach out there but barrel life isnt soo hot. i think a 223 would be plenty of gun. its capable of taking 300 yards shots it wont burn up a barrel and its will put a yote down easy.

this yote was shot with a 22 250 55gr softpoint at 70yards this is the exit wound its not too hard on pelts but the barrel life is a concern. the bullet entered just behind the sholder, it put him down hard.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy and welcome to the forums!

I myself use .223 and 25-06. I tend to use the .223 most of the time. It has almost no recoil, it is cheap and easy to reload for, and it has been accurate with almost every type of ammo I've feed it. For targets and coyotes, it is hard to beat. With 40 and 50 grain V-Max bullets, it won't even make an exit wound in most coyotes. The 25-06 has a little more recoil for target shooting, but wind drift doesn't factor in as much with the larger bullets. I shoot bullets ranging from 75-120 grains. It also packs a lot harder punch for distant critters. Although it does sometimes make for a large exit wound. The .243 rates somewhere in the middle. It is also flat shooting, just pushing bullets around 55-95 grains at about the same tragectory. For the purposes you mentioned, the .243 would probably suit you well.

With the improved metal used in gun barrels, barrel life shouldn't be a big concern.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 PM

well thanks for all the info you guys shared. I am not to worried about the pelts just planning on helping the farmers out. I have a .22 mag that i would use on close shots. If i go with the .243 i was thinking about the remington 700 vls or maybe the savage model 12bvss. Whats your take on those two guns? Thanks again for the input.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your planning on handloading for it. 257 Roberts, 75 gr bullet will reach out there and ride the wind better than any of the 22's or 6 mm's. Then load 100-120 gr bullets for deer.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Remington 700 VLS in .223 for sale. It shoots 1/2" groups and less at 100 yards. 1" high at 100 yards is zeroed at 200 and about 6" low at 300 yards. I have only shot it at 300 yards once and I shot a 3.25" group. Im sure the gun will shoot better than I can but I could kill a coyote at 300 yards with it.

The .223 has less recoil and cheaper ammo than the .243 and it has a ton of ammo choices. If you want to shoot deer size game you can get 60gr partitions or 53gr x bullets too.

Quick Reply: TARGET FIFLE AND VARMIT RIFLE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.