Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

6.8mm SPC

Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6.8mm SPC

I as well wonder why they didn't choose the 7.62X39mm over the weak 5.56. Well i actually do know the answer but i still think they should have gone with the 7.62X39mm and maybe just loaded it with a lighter bullet.
First of all, there is the issue of compatability with the ammunition and weapons used by the bulk of our enemies around the world. We don't want the enemy capturing our ammo and even our weapons to use against us. 7.62x39mm Soviet is all over the place in third world countries, but I'm guessing that 5.56x45 NATO is a little harder to come by, unless it's off the bed of a U.S. supply truck. So if our enemy captures out weapons they are not worth hardly anything, same goes with ammo.

Secondly, the 7.62x39mm Soviet is already loaded with as light a bullet as is really practical in a .303cal cartridge. The standard load is a 123gr FMJ at about 2300fps. Short range performance is pretty good, but out past 150 meters it's falling like a rock and has little energy left. The 6.8mm SPC still has what it takes if ranges get large, but is a powerful and useful cartridge up close as well. Burst fire might be a bit tricky to control, but when you're 25 yards to 10 feet away from the enemy, it shouldn't be a terrible problem.

Mike
Old 04-05-2005, 09:07 PM

Here's a solution to the search for a "new cartridge", bring back the 276 Pederson.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a solution to the search for a "new cartridge", bring back the 276 Pederson.

That was exactly what I was thinking!

Amazing how things come full circle. If John Garand was able to have his way 70 years ago, we probably would have never been saddled with the mouse caliber. Even the brits were wanting a .277 or 7mm military cartridge for the Nato standard, and we foisted the .308 on them before pretty much abandoning it ourselves. Not saying that there is anything wrong with the .308, but it is overkill just about as much as the 30-06.