Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

High Performance Sabots

Old 04-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: High Performance Sabots

Shootstuff,

200yds is a VERY LONG SHOT for a rifled shotgun. My rule of thumb for my maximum shots I'll attempt is a paper plate. If I can't hit the paper plate 3/4 or 4/5 times then it's too far for me. I hold true to myself that I will not shoot at an animal that I don't feel very confident that I can kill quickly and cleanly.

No matter what slug you are shooting, you are going to have ALOT of drop at 200 yards. In that 200 yards, the wind can do it's will also.

I know what you mean about sitting on big fields, we've got four big fields down on the property in Johnson. I've seen plenty of dandy deer pass out of range. I use these as opportunities to find their trails into and out of the woods and creek crossings that seperate a couple fields. I always use my glasses to carefully watch and mentally mark these in's and out's so I can set up ambush sites later. I try to learn something, no matter how insignificant it may seem, from every sighting.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-04-2005, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Shootstuff,

200yds is a VERY LONG SHOT for a rifled shotgun. My rule of thumb for my maximum shots I'll attempt is a paper plate. If I can't hit the paper plate 3/4 or 4/5 times then it's too far for me. I hold true to myself that I will not shoot at an animal that I don't feel very confident that I can kill quickly and cleanly.

No matter what slug you are shooting, you are going to have ALOT of drop at 200 yards. In that 200 yards, the wind can do it's will also.

I know what you mean about sitting on big fields, we've got four big fields down on the property in Johnson. I've seen plenty of dandy deer pass out of range. I use these as opportunities to find their trails into and out of the woods and creek crossings that seperate a couple fields. I always use my glasses to carefully watch and mentally mark these in's and out's so I can set up ambush sites later. I try to learn something, no matter how insignificant it may seem, from every sighting.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
the slugs I'm looking at are very high powered offerings which have published numbers that are more than suitable for a 200yd shot, and i'm a very meticulous person, before i go out in the field, i know what kinda drop i can expect at various ranges, as well as wind sheer at various ranges, and i get those figures not only from published numbers from the ammo mfg, but also from my own shooting practice.

With Federal Barnes slugs, a 200yd show zeroed at 125 yds will only drop something like 11" and wind shear will be close to that number as well with a 10ish mph wind.

Make no mistake, i dont plan on simply zeroing the gun and then shooting to 200yds, that is my MAX prospective range at this point, and i will be doing alot of practicing and tinkering to assure myself that such a shot is doable, repeatable, and above all, ethical.

Mat
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 PM
bigcountry

200yds is a VERY LONG SHOT for a rifled shotgun.
Absolutely. I consider that pretty irresponsible.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to say again. I'l always refer back to my paper plate test. I learned it years ago and it will always hold true. The paper plate is really representative of the boiler room of a whitetail, and plenty cheap. The only real difference between the paper plate and a real animal is there is no hair or meat attached.

I think us slug shooters here in IL might think about little get together to really find out what's possible with all this great new "technology". In my opinion, I really don't think any new tech is going to make up for good old marksmanship. So many times it has been said, heck Heston even had it carved in one of the stones when he played Moses, "It is the shooter moreso than the gun." And then there was more lightning and thunder and all that............

If I had to bet on it, I would say that atleast up til now, here in Illinois, the number one slug that has killed more deer than all others combined, would be the Remington Slugger thru smooth bores. I am talking about the last 50 years.

Don't get me wrong here. Rifled barrels and sabots do let us shoot much further than rifled slugs and smooth bores. But here in IL, there are just so many opportunities to take deer at ranges that a rifled/smooth combo can easily handle. I know that about half of the deer I have shot with my rifled set-up could have easily been taken with my 12 gauge J.C. Higgins pump (smooth and short). And it kinda really blasts a hugely unneccessary hole in them when you hit a deer at 30-60 yards with a 12 gauge Brenneke 3-inch Gold Mag, believe me. I put a straight on chest shot on a nice deer that went al the way thru, front to back. That deer not only went down like a ton of lead, but moved backward quite a bit, too. It sucked alot of internals out with it. Gutting revealed internals that looked like they went thru a garbage disposal.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the fishing was tough, but we did manage to do well on one of the smallest stream in the area. Everything else was completely blownout..

Old 04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brought back a few picks of one of the farms I hunt...(shotgun only area)