Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

High Performance Sabots

Old 03-31-2005, 12:27 PM

Default RE: High Performance Sabots

JCC, OK that's understandable.

Shoot stuff, read, think, reply. I said inline Black Powder, not centerfire. Last time I checked an inline was an improvement on a match lock but each to his own. Also your state allows you to use a inline. As for cost I don't see how an inline is more expensive then shooting slugs at $1.50 a pop. You're still going to have a scope on the shottie, so I think the cost is about equal. Also I didn't use a scope on my inline this season and dropped my deer 75 yards away so iron sites are an option. Also that load that I shot the deer with in January was loaded in the gun in November, just get non corrosive powder and you're set, unloading after each hunt optional.

That being said if you want to throw slugs as your pill of choice be my guest. Have fun, and happy hunting.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have been trying to find out what the weight of the bullet is in the Hornady slug. So far I have not found that info anywhere. I like the 12 Ga with slugs at a defense weapon in bear country. I have had a few close encounters of the bear kind. So far I have found nothing better that the Dixie slugs with the 700 grain Hardened slug at 1400 FPS. This is not a slug for long range accuracy but nothing on this planet would stand up to a couple of these at defense ranges. I have never fired them at 100 yards. I have fired them in an NEF partner shotgun and its a bit like..... Well being mauled by a bear.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Flying Ferris

JCC, OK that's understandable.

Shoot stuff, read, think, reply. I said inline Black Powder, not centerfire. Last time I checked an inline was an improvement on a match lock but each to his own. Also your state allows you to use a MODERN INLINE BLACK POWDER rifle. Just wanted to make myself more clear.
Yes sir, i realize, did you perhaps, read my second post?

I am fully aware that ML's are legal during firearm season, however, the extra cost of all the accessories required to smoothly operate and care for a muzzleloader put it well beyond my price range.

My inclusion of the matchlock comment was you talking about "using a shotgun to shoot shot, period." I was simply asking why one type of gun should be strictly relegated to one usage, when it is obvious that improvements can be made, and currently ARE being made.

And, to you saying "Black Powder, not centerfire" you also said a shotgun will never be a "real rifle," were you, or were you not speaking of a centerfire rifle in that statement, or were you talking about some other kind of "real rifle?"

I honestly dont understand what is being accomplished through this bickering back and forth.
This topic was begun to discuss the growing popularity of shotgun slug hunting, and the new types of ammo being produced.
I dont understand why people feel the need to assert the superiority of other types of firearms that nobody disputes the performance of.

I quit on this thread, it seems all my attempts to garner some credible information from others have been for nought, thanks guys.

Mat
Old 03-31-2005, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shootstuff,

I am glad to see you understand the purpose of this post and I thank you for your contribution....

Yes the A-bolt would be first. However the current cost of the gun takes it out of practical competition.

Both the Savage and H&R will shoot as well as the Browning in my experience.

I do alot of stalking so the Savage is by far the better choice, for me. I get the same performance as the H&R, substantially less weight, and quicker follow up.

I must point out a few issues with the Savage. If you weren't aware of them they could cause frustration.
First the comb is too low. This is the case with most slug guns. Easily fixed and customized to your fit with the bear tooth comb kit @15$.
Second, many scopes require at least 1 extension rings to be mounted properly. I have 1ext, 1reg on mine.
Third, some low mounted scopes may catch the shells when ejecting. . I have never had a problem in a hunting situation, but felt I should mention it.

None of these issues would hinder me from recommending the gun, just thought it might help your decision.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:48 PM

Well, in my case, i do alot of stationary hunting for Deer, rarely doing much spot/stalk, so the follow up is really not of importance. I have actually never shot more than once at a deer while using a rifled shotgun, so single shot doesnt bother me.

I was asking mainly in terms of accuracy, and figured the A would win out, as it seems to be the king of slug guns.

I generally hunt with a 20ga, so the 210 only coming in 12 is a bit of a negative to me, plus the price differential between the Ultra and the 210, keep me favoring the H&R.

So, looks like a 20ga Ultra Slug Hunter from H&R will be the next addition to my gun collection

Thanks for the insight jcchart!

Mat
Old 03-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shootstuff,

After hearing your description of your hunting style I could not agree more with the H&R being your first choice.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to let those members that have been keeping this post running, that I am going trout fishing for a few days. I will not be able to reply to any questions/comments, until I return some time next week.
Until then...enjoy the upcoming weekend..JEFF
Old 03-31-2005, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is this where Taps starts playing? Or will just a violin suffice.

Do you use some sort of special hooks or will just some ordinary old Eagle Claws be good enough? LOL!

Seriously, hope ya catch some good ones, trout are tasty. Pictures maybe?

Uncle Matt (in IL)

REMEMBER! Licenses (atleast here in IL) expire at the end of Thursday.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shootstuff, if you want feedback on the H&R Ultra Slug Hunters, don't you think you'd get the best feedback by asking some of the guys here who ACTUALLY OWN them? Who have shot them REGULARLY. Who have HUNTED with them. Who have HARVESTED animals with them. There's plenty of owners of H&R's here.

I got two in the vault and plenty of venison in the freezers, so I guess I am entitled to issue two "yes" votes?

Two words..exceptional accuracy.

If you are intrested I can tell you when and how much I paid for ours and their set-ups.

Some of the folks don't care for the weight of the H&R's but it's never bothered us. I'm a big guy and my boy's following suit (13 yrs old, 6 ft. and 200 lbs.).

Here's a very revelant question to ask when dealing with slug guns. HOW'S THE KICK?
Being scared of the recoil will kill your shooting, no doubt. Flinching, trigger jerk, shaking, etc..

I feel the weight of the Ultra combined with the superior recoil pad thay are fitted with make for one of the most pleasant felt recoils of any slug gun. This pad is pretty darn good and would be a good addition to any heavy recoilers.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-31-2005, 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Shootstuff, if you want feedback on the H&R Ultra Slug Hunters, don't you think you'd get the best feedback by asking some of the guys here who ACTUALLY OWN them? Who have shot them REGULARLY. Who have HUNTED with them. Who have HARVESTED animals with them. There's plenty of owners of H&R's here.

I got two in the vault and plenty of venison in the freezers, so I guess I am entitled to issue two "yes" votes?

Two words..exceptional accuracy.

If you are intrested I can tell you when and how much I paid for ours and their set-ups.

Some of the folks don't care for the weight of the H&R's but it's never bothered us. I'm a big guy and my boy's following suit (13 yrs old, 6 ft. and 200 lbs.).

Here's a very revelant question to ask when dealing with slug guns. HOW'S THE KICK?
Being scared of the recoil will kill your shooting, no doubt. Flinching, trigger jerk, shaking, etc..

I feel the weight of the Ultra combined with the superior recoil pad thay are fitted with make for one of the most pleasant felt recoils of any slug gun. This pad is pretty darn good and would be a good addition to any heavy recoilers.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Yea, with my 870, i have noticed myself flinching sometimes with my deer and turkey shotguns, and have to make a concerted effort not to, so i look at the weight as a plus, more stable to shoot, and less fear of recoil.

Im NOT a big guy at all, 5' 10" and 140 soakin wet, but i carry a 17lb stand and bow in the field, so an 8lb gun isnt THAT bad, esp since i mostly stand/still hunt, although this year i'm planning on setting up a ground blind out in our 500x1000yd cornfield, since i ALWAYS see nice bucks out threre in the evening, and i'll finally have the range and versatility to hunt a good chunk of that field.

I plan on setting this thing up after school lets out in may and i'm back home, then i have all summer to get comfortable shooting it, i want to feel comfortable shooting to 200yds so if i have that opportunity, i can take it.

Mat

Quick Reply: High Performance Sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.