Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

High Performance Sabots

Old 03-31-2005, 08:47 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: High Performance Sabots

Whatever man, I don't believe you. Think you went out this year and got a 870 from walmart with a rifled barrel. At least thats what it looks like from your posts.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL,

Bigcountry you just lost alot of all credibility with that statement....I actually had some respect for your input, untill I now realize that you could be ignorant to ABSOLUTE FACT! I'll leave it at that....
Old 03-31-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a picture I would like Bigcountry to explain..

The Savage 210F and and the Ithaca Deerslayer laying side by side on my floor. The same two I just stated I had in my house.

The same ones BIGCOUNTRY JUST ACCUSED ME OF LYING ABOUT...

Old 03-31-2005, 09:17 AM
bigcountry

Nice guns your daddy has there.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of sabots have I said I shoot most often...Remmington Core Lokt Ultras...

Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thankyou Bigcountry,

You have now displayed to everyone following this post the angle you have been pursueing....

I thought perhaps you had something to offer this post, it is now clear that you have some agenda unrelated to the topic at hand...

Hopefully now we can all get back to the subject....

High Performance Sabots...
Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I leave shot gun doing what they do best. Shooting shot. I wanted a long range (for BP and SG only areas) gun so I looked into buy a rifled bull barrel for my 870, as well as a bolt shot gun, but the cost to preformance ratio was just way off when compared to a good inline muzzle loader. I bought an Encore 209x50 for that reason. I could load it out and shoot the pill with about the same ballistics of a 30-30 and I wasn't forcing a gun to do something it was't Bottom line you're never going to get you shotgun to be a true rifle, so if you want to chunk lead, why not do that. They're plenty of dead game animals that wouldn't argue that slugs are great hunting tools, but why try force the issue when slugs are already outside of a shotguns primary purpose. Just my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Flying Ferris...I agree with your point that most inline-muzzleloaders are better long distance shoots than Rifled Shotguns.( I own a Savage 10ml ).

Where I hunt most shots are 100-125yds max. As I already own the slug guns these sabots are giving me the distance I need plus the availabilty of follow up shots.

If I were to hunt where I was likely to get longer shots I would go with the Muzzleloader as well.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Flying Ferris

I don't know about you guys, but I leave shot gun doing what they do best. Shooting shot. I wanted a long range (for BP and SG only areas) gun so I looked into buy a rifled bull barrel for my 870, as well as a bolt shot gun, but the cost to preformance ratio was just way off when compared to a good inline muzzle loader. I bought an Encore 209x50 for that reason. I could load it out and shoot the pill with about the same ballistics of a 30-30 and I wasn't forcing a gun to do something it was't Bottom line you're never going to get you shotgun to be a true rifle, so if you want to chunk lead, why not do that. They're plenty of dead game animals that wouldn't argue that slugs are great hunting tools, but why try force the issue when slugs are already outside of a shotguns primary purpose. Just my 2 cents
Yea guys, GOSH! Why do you guys try to improve upon the tools you have?

If more people were stuck in this mindset, we would all still be using smoothbore matchlocks and wooden bows/arrows.

I dont know where you're from ferris, but here in Illinois, we don't have the option of centerfire rifle hunting for deer, so why is it a bad thing to try to get the best performance possible out of the slug guns we're required by law to use.

I know on the land i deer hunt, there are alot of open fields, and alot of shots passed on that were "just out of range." So, in this situation, i look for options for extending my range.

Nobody is asking their shotguns to "be a true rifle," but even now, some slugs are shooting better than a few centerfire calibers ( a very small few, but still). The technology is getting better, as is the manufacturing and quality control, and us lowly slug hunters are reaping the benefits.

It seems that some of the members here are satisfied with mid-level slugs, and their shorter ranges, which is FINE, i dont fault you gentlemen for that, but there's no reason to attack someone else because they are trying to increase their effectiveness in the field.

SO! Back on topic....

jcchartboy

Out of the slug guns you have tested, which do you like best (if the answer is the A-Bolt, then which comes second)?

I'm looking to replace my ironsight 870 slugger with a better gun with a nice scope, and was looking hard at the H&R ultra line, but really like the look of the savage 210, and its lighter weight and magazine capacity.

So, which one do you like best?

Mat
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 PM

I forgot to include that, with muzzleloaders, your getting yourself into alot more money than just the gun.

For money spent on the gun, the ML will easily outshoot the Slugger, BUT...

Dont forget that with the smokepole, there are alot of other related costs. You need a scope, powder, bullets, sabots, cleaning supplies, solvents, primers, etc etc, the cost adds up and you end up paying alot more than the surface cost.

A slug gun is more of a flat rate, buy the gun, get some shells and a scope, and zero her, clean it with your other shotgun cleaning supplies, etc.

Also, dont forget the convenience factor of the shotgun, after the hunt, unload, and case her up, you dont have to mess with unpriming it, removing the powder and bullet, etc, for me, the ML loses points there BIG TIME.

I was seriously looking into getting a smokepole awhile back, but felt it was more worthwhile to stick with the shotgun. With all the new kinds of slugs coming out, I wouldnt put it past the mfg's to have the slugs shooting as well/better than smokepoles in the next couple years.

To each their own, I'm not going to attack a centerfire/muzzleloader shooter for their choice, if i had more money, i would have all three, but on my limited budget, and statewide regs, i'll stick to the rifled scattergun

Mat

Quick Reply: High Performance Sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.