Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

High Performance Sabots

Old 03-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Performance Sabots

Understandably, these sometimes costly slugs are not for everyone. But for those slug gun hunters that are trying to ring the most out of there guns, I wanted to start a post that listed some of the best high performance Sabots
Bigcountry....This was my original post, I made it clear this post was meant for individuals who had interest in the subject. You have made it clear through repeated posts that you prefer mid and low velocity slugs. That is fine. However that is not really relevent to those individuals who already succesfully shoot high performance sabots and are looking to further increase the effective range of their guns.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I have used these on 250-300lb hogs at about 35-45yds with
instant kills,

Express-Soild Base-740grs
Old 03-30-2005, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

I have used these on 250-300lb hogs at about 35-45yds with
instant kills,

Express-Soild Base-740grs
For when your too lazy to lug along your Bazooka?? [8D]

740 gr is quite a slug
Old 03-30-2005, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

No shootstuff, so when you hunt one of these without
dogs.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:38 PM

touché [8D]
Old 03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree wholeheartedly with Bigcountry, the faster - the more erratic.

The reason you keep seeing more offerings is because more manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon. Heck even Brenneke is offering a sabot because thaey know they have lost customers looking for these "magic" sabots.

Most of the guys jumping all over trying these new sabots are just like the bow hunters who are always looking for a faster bow. You know the guys, first question out of their mouth when looking at someone's bow is, "How fast is it?". Not, "How does it shoot for you?". Speed ain't all it's cracked up to be, believe you me.

American indians killed buffalo with what? Handmade long bows and arrows with stone heads. Guys just have to realize that spending money or having the fastest or newest thing a manufacturer is trying to make money off of (i.e. sell you) doesn't make you a better hunter, probobly just the opposite cause guys tend to "crutch" on things like that.

Heck, I just carved some new teeth for myself out of some old deer antler and they're working just fine. And I replaced my old false eyeball that I lost with a shooter marble for like .20 cents and that works fine, too. Hey where'd everyone go?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 03-30-2005, 07:01 PM

anytime you increase velocity of a projectile, small forces involved begin to play a greater role.

the reason some of these projectiles are "erratic" (a subjective word, since the "erratic slugs are shooting ONLY 5" groups at 100yds from a SHOTGUN) is because ammo manufacturers cant make a perfect projectile for these shells, that will fly well everytime, without making these slugs even pricier than they already are.

take the "copper solid" by remington, it's a very accurate slug with its fairly low velocity, but is a terribly poorly made slug if you look closely at the construction, especially the hollow point, its very asymmetrical, not flat, etc. Add 500fps to that slug, and it becomes MUCH less accurate because those imperfections cause that much more drag/wobble and reduce accuracy.

With slugs like the hornady's, ballistic tipped, well made/balanced bullets, coming out, i see accuracy getting even better. You cant expect sub 1MOA out of a hollow point, but with good bullets, with considerably higher Ballistic Coefficients coming out, look for accuracy to catch up to where retained energy is getting.

I should post some pics of my "Franken-Coppers" i made, cleaned up, lathed, copper solid slugs, that i added polymer tips to Hornady beat me to the punch though [:@]
Old 03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, If you can't find a setup that shoots these slugs well that is understandable.
The reality though is that this post was created for those who have...

Please remember if you have not shot a reasonable # of these shells your "opinions" on their performance is for the most part usless. If you have shot them, and can put forth some factual evidence, then I am sure everyone here would appreciate it....

Although making derogatory comments about a group of bow hunters and somehow equating them to shotgun hunters,(huh?) might look cool but it, it also does not add evidence to the discussion at hand.

Lets try to stick to the subject.....
Old 03-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel Hog....Nice picture...not sure if you knew this but that young fella, (13yrs old) took that hog with a 250gr Hornady sabot at 75yds.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Jcc,
No I did't know, it's just a picture I got from the Web.
We have brought them back alive when using dogs.
I normally use Win 94 .35Rem or Ruger 44.
When it's dangerous is when you go without dogs.
Where we hunt is swampy, alot of snakes and gators.
A hog can outdo you in the swamps.

Quick Reply: High Performance Sabots

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.