Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .243

ORIGINAL: smokepolehall

RebelHog, i did not take issue with your advice, i just answered his ? of 80gr. bullets & my unfortunate use of them. I use Nosler spitzer solid base 100gr. for my deer hunting. In close range i sometimes use the 105gr. round nose bullets with great results! I should have made it clear i was advising redneckbulldog. Seems this topic doesn't reply to the original person but to whom ever was writing before! So i hope this has been cleared up. [&:]
10-4......SMOKEPOLE
Old 03-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Zrex, go back and read what I advised him. I told him to try and stay
at 200yds, not 300.
Can't you put them all in a 8"pie plate @ 300yds.I can, everyday and
even on Sundays.
8" circle would be the vitals, a 2" circle would represent the head. Your telling me that you have been shooting deer in the head @ 200yds for years ? Thats a 2" moving circle, at 200 yds ? Like I said , Ya right.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you can hit a P-dog ( basically a 2" moving target) at 200 yards with a 243. why couldnt you hit a deer in the noggin at that distance. Ive been neckin doe out to 200 yards with my 308 for along time now, saves more edible meat. Bucks on the other hand I dont want to damage the rack so ill shoot them in the vitals.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, But can you hit them behind the back with a mirror......LOL just playing around ( You to Rebel Hog)200 yds. with any good centerfire should not be a problem if you can shoot. Some people are just naturally better shots than others.We are always ready to doubt the ability of some individuals.Some of these guy's on here could probally pop you in the coconut at 2000 meters no problem.I shoot pretty danged good and would not hesitate to shoot a deer at 2oo ,probally 300 with a .243. But I would make darn sure my rifle and myself were up to the task before hand.Rebel Hog's idea about the plywood deer is about the best way to get to true hunting conditions there is.Try it from your stand and every position that you can.Hell the guy's around here have 500,600 and even 1000yd shoots at EGGS.That's a little smaller than a deer .BTW I have a Win.Model 70 bull barrel .243 with a straight 36 power scope so thats kinda like cheating.I have pieces of round currancy that has .223, 7mm, .308,.243,.22-250 size holes in them from 100 and 200 yards.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:12 PM

The are bullets that are designed for varmints and there are bullets designed for deer. While it don't hurt much using deer bullets on varmints, the opposite ain't at all true. I'm not familiar with any 80 grain bullet designed for deer, there may be some but I don't know about them. The 85 grain Sierra Game King and the Hornady 87-grian Inter lock are the lightest game bullets I've seen actually used. I once killed a nice antelope at 325 long paces with the Hornady, but there was some up and down in that so I don't know the distance the bullet traveled. My Dad might have had a failure with the Sierra, but my brother just thinks he missed. Who can tell what 80 somethings are seeing?