Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Suggestion?

Old 03-30-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Suggestion?

"I guess I just said all that to say I lack confidence in the bullet and want to change it" Jason N

Jason,
I can't argue with you at all cause I have had the same thing happen to me. The biggest deer I ever shot is on my wall...the only one nice enough to make me spend the $$ (I'm cheap). But that deer dropped within 16 yrds of being hit by a .243 100 grain Winchester soft point (not a silver tip) that I had loaded that fall. I NEVER FOUND A SINGLE PIECE OF THAT BULLLET except for a little bit of jacket. Went in and didn't exit. To say the least my confidence was shaken and I decided I needed to use heavier tackle for big deer. But the deer did die and quickly. I understand your feelings...and i guess there is everything good about being concerned for quick kills and the best performance from our guns / bullets. Good luck on your quest.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the few TSX's I've shot through my Tikka, I haven't noticed any more copper fouling than with conventional lead cored bullets. Barnes claims, and from what I've seen concurs with this, that because the grooves cut in the shank of the bullet significantly reduce overall bearing surface area while preserving the critical bearing surface length, it reduces pressures and allows the copper to flow much more easily when the rifling engraves it, thus reducing copper fouling. It seems to work. After I get more TSX's through my rifle I'll know more
I read that too on Barnes' FAQ. It makes sense....less surface area=less surface to cause fouling. Definitly a bullet on my list. I'm really intrigued by the SST's though. Hearing good things about them and the price is right. I'll spend what I need to on a quality bullet, but I have a hard time justifying the cost on some of these slugs.....like a TBBC they just aren't worth $22 per 25....unless of course they have their own guidance system!

I understand your feelings...and i guess there is everything good about being concerned for quick kills and the best performance from our guns / bullets. Good luck on your quest.
I usually follow the mantra that if it isn't broken don't fix it, but in this case I feel like it's only a matter of time until it's broken so why not do some preventative maintanence? That and I'm out of Gamekings and need to load up another batch and since I've got to do it I might as well make the change.

Someone made the comment that Pro Hunters aren't supposed to come apart. I have no preferrence of manufacturer in this matter. I only went with Sierra's in the first place because I was told(and with good reason) that they are one of the most accurate bullets made. I certainly agree with that considering I couldn't get bulk Corelokt's or Hornady's to fly worth crap....then I went to Sierra and had great results....just not what I expected in terminal performance on game. Though every deer or chuck I've shot with them has perished rapidly.

Based on what you guys have told me and what I've read elswhere I thnk the SST's are my next try....though I would like to have a 100gr bullet I WILL make those 117grs shoot great. 'Course it may take a lot of range time, but I have the time and patience so I'm going to except nothing short of what I have now in terms of accuracy.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Jason you might want to check the rate of twist on your gun. My 25-06 is 1 in 10 so it does better with longer bullets. If yours is slower (1 in 12 or 1 in 14) you might have better success with the shorter 100 gr bullets.

The best part about making a firm decision to develope a new load is that you can do a lot of shooting!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

CZ, it's 1 in 10". I just didn't work enough with the loads to get them to shoot well.