Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

tikka or savage

Old 03-27-2005, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tikka or savage

Its what they are made for. I like to get the best quality rifle I can then try to wear it out. They dont' do much good looking pretty in a gun safe.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you handload you MIGHT be able to get the Savage to shoot as well as the Tikka
What part of Savage rifles shoot great right out of the box are you having trouble with?
Old 03-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

If you handload you MIGHT be able to get the Savage to shoot as well as the Tikka
What part of Savage rifles shoot great right out of the box are you having trouble with?
hey frizzellr, maybe its good that alot of people think this, that way they dont become hot items and jack the price up!!!!! I like the fact that I can still buy Savages for under $400!!!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, everyone is pretty passionate about this topic huh?

I'd say just go with the one that makes sense to you. Here's a quick rundown of the pros;

Savage:
-less expensive
-accutrigger is very popular and has received many good reviews
-(sorry, I don't know more about the savage and their reviews)

Tikka:
-1" or better written guaretee out of the box
-smoothest action I've ever felt
-removeable external box magazine (big selling point for me anyway)
-excellent, crisp trigger with no overtravel with factory instructions on how to adjust between 2-4 lbs. (1 allen wrench/nut adjusted).

I have read really good reviews about the newer Savage rifles so I believe they are very good too. I just don't know as I've never shot one or tested one (I do get a chance to shoot an ol' 250-3000 on occasion but that's older than I am).

Kinda comes down to what you need your rifle to do too. If money is really tight and you don't need to shoot over 200 yards the Savage might be perfect. If you need to shoot further you'll want to be aware of accuracy differences unless you handload and like dialing in the rifle with just the right load. I'm not saying the Savages aren't accurate, I'm sure they are. I just don't see it in writing and after being frustrated with my Browning A-bolt, even after sending it back to the company, I went with the Tikka. Just my personal experience though.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't see it in writing and after being frustrated with my Browning A-bolt, even after sending it back to the company, I went with the Tikka.
You know Weatherby has a written guarantee as well, but I have never in my life seen one that would shoot worth a damn. The things I don't like about the Tikka are the detachable magazine (something else to forget at home or in the truck), the one size fits all action, and the feel to me is all wrong.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The things I don't like about the Tikka are the detachable magazine (something else to forget at home or in the truck),
I see how that could be both a blessing and a curse...I keep mine in my rifle unless I'm loading or unloading the rifle. I found out that the darn things cost $60 for a little stinkin' 3 round plastic magazine, for cripes sake! I checked into it because I thought I wanted a spare to hunt with, both for the extra ammo, and "just in case." Well, the $60 price tag turned me off to that idea really fast! That's my only real gripe with the Tikka.

Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 12:29 AM

Tikka!
American Rifleman had a review of the Savage factory about 7 or 8 years ago and showed a picture of an old man with a mirror bending barrels to straighten them! It probablysounded like a novel concept to many readers but to me it raised some serious red flags.

1. Bend barrels means that the barrels are cheaplymade and straightening them will add more stresses to them.

2. An old man with with nothing more than a mirror and years of skill straightening barrels is not exactly ISO 9001. When the old man retires, that piece of skilled labor is gone and some union worker with a lot of years in doing a job that a semiretarded orangutan could be taught to do will post for the job and get it. Nothing is better than a gravy job in a Union shop with no heavy lifting.

If quality is the drive behind your purchase decision the Tikka is far better. If utilitarian purpose of the rifle is your aim the savage will be good enough.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

... the one size fits all action, and the feel to me is all wrong.
I have to admit I don't like the T3's as much as my Whitetail Hunter. They aren't quite as nice but still a good rifle in my book.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:35 PM

SAVAGE DOESN'T SEEM TO NEED TO GUARANTEE 1MOA RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX BECAUSE MOST OF THEM DO IT ANYWAY. SAVAGE 110 PACKAGE GUN WITH BORESIGHTED SCOPE AT "WALLY-WORLD FOR 339.95. THE SAVAGE IS WILL BE OUT THERE DRIVING TACKS FOR YEARS. NUF SAID.