Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

savage II M L 50cal

Old 09-12-2002, 09:38 PM

Default savage II M L 50cal

Has anyone have a good load for IMR-4227 thanks for the help
Old 09-13-2002, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: savage II M L 50cal

mgunsmith welcome to the board.I can't help you with your question.All my BP guns are Non -Smokeless powder. I just wanted to suggest that you would get a better response posting your question in the Black Powder forum. I'm sure you will enjoy your visits to the board. Allot of good and knowledgeable people willing to lend a helping hand. Ruger Redhawk

Support the NRA...Protecting our Gun Rights and Freedoms is everybody's responsibility. Ruger Redhawk A proud NRA Life Member since 1977.

Edited by - ruger-redhawk on 09/13/2002 07:55:39
Old 09-13-2002, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: savage II M L 50cal

Mgunsmith, welcome and welcome again. Ruger-RH, is right in that you might have gotten a faster response by posting this question on the Black Powder Forum. But it so happens that you are in luck. I happen to shoot, several of the Savage ML's, last count was I had 7 of them. I have a compiled some loading data over the past 3 years that I have been shooting the Savage 10ML and 10ML-II.

Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll send it to you as it is way too much to post here.

A good load for your Savage 10ML-II with IMR-4227, would be 48.0 grains, with Hornady .452 250gr XTP, with either MMP or Hornady High Pressure sabots. You should get about 2,300 FPS and 1.5"-2" groups at 100yds. THIS LOAD SHOULD NOT BE USED IN ANY OTHER MUZZLELOADER, EXCEPT THE SAVAGE 10ML OR 10ML-II. TO USE THIS LOAD IN ANY OTHER MUZZLELOADER, EXCEPT THE SAVAGE 10ML OR 10ML-II, MAY RESULT IN DAMAGE OR INJURY TO THE MUZZLELOADER AND/OR SHOOTER.

A few tips on shooting your Savage ML, the sabot, any sabot, is the weak link. Use MMP or Hornady High Pressure sabots, as they seem to work the best in the Savage ML. Even these sabots will become soft and pliable when they get hot. When they become soft and pliable they will not stnad up to the high pressures generated by smokeless powders, like IMR-4227. Also, smokeless powder will heat the barrel of the Savage 10ML, up much quicker than BP or the substitutes. When shooting multiple rapid shots the barrel heats up and this heat is transfered to the sabots, making them soft and pliable, and accuracy will suffer. In hot weather, 70 degrees or higher, allow the barrel to cool several minutes between shots, maybe 5 minutes or more depending on how hot the weather is. This allow you to maintain accuracy.