Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.30-378 wby mag- How good is it??

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .30-378 wby mag- How good is it??

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Check out this website, actually read the whole thing. Especially the link above. Look at the recoil tables. As for the joke it was a dig on people in southern Iowa and Missouri being somewhat slow. Too bad I had to explain the joke to you. Proves my point. I am from North Iowa, graduated a Panther, love the Hawks and currently living in Seattle.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for the joke it was a dig on people in southern Iowa and Missouri being somewhat slow. Too bad I had to explain the joke to you. Proves my point.
No, actually, it's you that didn't get it. I understood your intent perfectly, and my comment was a retort. Do you want me to explain?

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Coralville is only three hours away, ride your ditch pickel up here and we can shoot on my range. This will show wich gun performs. I have 100, 200, 300, 450, 500, 600, and 1000 yd targets. The 1000 is a sheet of plywood. Did u read the article on recoil yet? I would love to continue this all night but I have to get some exercise in.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thought you said you lived in Seattle. Besides, I have no inclination to waste gas at 2.10 a gallon to come up there to prove anything to you. I shoot at least once a month up at Matsell Bridge. If your ego just can't take the thought of someone being better than you, you can come to me.

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did u read the article on recoil yet?
Yes, and the load you're talking about is one of the heaviest available for the 12 gauge (1 7/8oz slug? I don't even think they exist!) A typical 12 gauge slug doesn't even come close. Try again.

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 07:35 PM
bigcountry

I hate to say this but drift is right. I have shot a 30-378 and the recoil is like a heavy loaded 338RUM and much more brutal than my 300RUM or any slug gun I have shot. With my 300RUM, I am at my limit. Its fun, I can handle that amound, I can shoot it 30 rounds with no problems. But I can't say the same about a 30-378. I can shoot slugs all day (if I can afford) with a semi, but shooting from a 870 pump is tough.

Like I say, If you can handle the recoil, and can afford it, have at it. It ain't my dime or shoulder, or barrel, so who am I to say its bad.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say this but drift is right.
Oh, you know you love me...you're my biggest fan! You just won't admit it! [8D]

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I say, If you can handle the recoil, and can afford it, have at it. It ain't my dime or shoulder, or barrel, so who am I to say its bad.
This is true. I just don't want the original poster to get all goo-goo eyed when he looks at the .30-378's numbers and dump his money on a very expensive rifle that'll collect dust because he can't afford the ammo or hates getting his butt kicked every time he squeezes the trigger. I spent an afternoon shooting 2oz, 3" and 3 1/2" turkey loads (40 shells total) through my light 870 Super Mag to pattern my gun, and I cringed every time I pulled the trigger. Now I won't shoot another turkey load unless it's at a turkey. Call me a wuss, but I can handle the .300WSM fine, and I shoot a fairly heavy load from my 10ML-II (300gr at 2250fps) that feels about the same, but I wouldn't want to shoot anything much more.

I don't think a lot of people realize what 50+ ft-lbs of recoil feels like and how brutal it is. I want barbs to be able to make in informed decision when he goes to spend his hard earned money. If he still decides to buy the .30-378, then he now has no one to blame but himself when he hates the darn thing.

Mike
Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot the WBY without the brake, like i said earlier it hurts but only for a second, and i have the ability to put the brake on it and use the walkers in both ears for very little recoil. Let me tell you this brake works. As for the slugs, they kick like hell in my 870 and I can handle those. Bottom line the WBY out performs the WSM and if you want to use hearing protection in the field and apply the brake it has very little recoil. Yeah it costs more money, whopee you can't take it with you when you go. I like the gun, it looks nice, I chose it, I paid for it, it preforms, I have no regrets and I love the gun. To each his own.

I spent an afternoon shooting 2oz, 3" and 3 1/2" turkey loads (40 shells total) through my light 870 Super Mag to pattern my gun, and I cringed every time I pulled the trigger.
For some reason your marksmenship fell after your last comment. Why would it take 40 shots to pattern a turkey load, and you cringed every shot, bet those were accurate. If you cringe on that then you probally cringe on all big dog shots. Maybe you should stick to the 22 or perhaps I heard daisy has a good gun out there.

MY LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT, I FEEL LIKE I AM TALKING TO A WALL.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would it take 40 shots to pattern a turkey load, and you cringed every shot, bet those were accurate.
Are you retarded? I was patterning a turkey gun. I was using 4 different types of shells and two different choke tubes at several ranges from 20-40 yards to see which load/choke combo patterned the best. And yes, it kicked a LOT and yes, I did flinch just about every time because that little 6.5lb shotgun kicked like a mule, and I'm smart enough to realize when enough is enough. I tolerated it only because I wanted to find the best load for my gun, and didn't want to make another trip to the range later. That's why I choose not to shoot the heavy kicking stuff because I, like the vast majority of other people, have a threshold where excessive recoil reduces our ability to shoot. If you'd have read Chuck Hawk's website you'd know that he discusses the detrimental effects of recoil on marksmanship in detail. I'm old enough to admit that I'm not impervious to it any more than the next guy. Once again, it's a maturity thing. If you can handle the 30-378, more power to you. I'm not trying to talk you out of buying your rifle, because you already have it and seem to like it and claim to shoot it well. Good for you...pat yourself on the back for me, will ya. If you want, give me your address and I'll mail you a cookie. But even if your claims are true, you are the exception, not the rule. But the original poster deserves to know the truth about the round so he can make an informed decision. He's not you, and I'm betting he's like most people and wouldn't enjoy that rifle or shoot it well. As I said before when you weren't listening, if he still chooses to buy a .30-378, that's his choice. That's the part of this you don't understand. I don't give a rats a$$ about you or your gun. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt about your ability to shoot it well and the only reason I bothered responding to you was for barb's benefit. You're so self-centered and immature that you can't see that, and once again I could give a crap. I accomplished my goals here, and you've been an invaluable asset to me whether you realise it or not.

MY LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT, I FEEL LIKE I AM TALKING TO A WALL.
Bye-bye, you big-bad-boy, you! Go kiss your biceps or whatever you do to make you feel better about yourself!

Mike

Quick Reply: .30-378 wby mag- How good is it??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.