Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question for the frequent shooters...

Old 03-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for the frequent shooters...

I am in the process of tryin to make up my mind on what to buy. I am looking for a gun strictly to burn up ammo and practice with. I have decided to get a Savage accu-trigger model of som sort..the thing I cant make up my mind on is caliber. I am thinkin 223 or 308 due to cheap ammo being easily available. I know the 223 is rthe cheapest but I am afraid I would be better served with the 308 as the kick is closer to that of the guns I hunt with. What do ya think and I am completely open on this deal.I just want something to burn a ton of ammo with to practice with and finally get to shoot all i want without going broke...lol.

Thanks in advance...
Old 03-09-2005, 02:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question for the frequent shooters...

I would have to go with the 223. Bullets are a lot cheaper if you reload. You still have the heft and feel of a high power rifle. I have always had either a 222 or 223 for just fun shooting. I have done a little shooting as we are starting to get some above freezing days.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks James..that military surplus ammo has a nice looking price. I done quite a bit of shooting Sunday. By above freezin Im figuring you must mean above zero?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have been in the low 30's for high temps this week. Spring is slowly making its way North.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the plan RR. I intend to shoot offhanded until I either get better or lose my shoulder..lol..Im leanin towards the 223.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Go with the 223. Ammo cost next to nothing and you can shoot it all day without getting a sore shoulder. Fire 100 out of the 223 an you won't notice it at all. Fire 100 out of the 308 and you will feel it the next morning I promise you. Firing the 223 will make you a better shot with your larger caliber rifles.

When I was starting out I used a 222 until I was proficient. Then I graduated to a 270 with no problems. If this is any indication I'm usually the one my buddies bring their magnums to for sighting in. Luck me.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:22 AM

D-Dumper,

Your post pretty much sums up why I went with a 223 Savage 12FV. Great plinker and with the cheap factory ammo I can shoot a lot and shoot often too boot , it don't get much better than that. It is also the round I started out reloading for and this made shooting it even more fun and accurate while still being reasonably economically even with premium bullets. It is also a great round to start younger shooters out with when they start shooting centerfire rifles.

Safe shooting.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys have convinced me...lol I wa sleaning towards the 223 but this has tipped it. Now I just gotta figure out what kinda Savage its gonna be
Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Here's a great way to practice offhand shooting. Get some old tires and make some cardboard cutouts for the center and paint a bullseye on them. Get a buddy to roll them down a hill for you and bang away. Great practice for a moving whitetail. Teaches you to shoot while they're in the air since that's the only time they can't change direction.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:52 PM

If you really want a Savage, I would take a good look at the 112BVSS...nice looking rifle and perfect for a bench. Super accurate as well and the price is right!