Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Outer Surface rust on rifle....

Old 01-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Spike

Default Outer Surface rust on rifle....

I always keep my rifle well oiled... While hunting in the rain, I notice rust spots popping up all over the barrel of my gun. It's a Remington .30-06 ADL bolt, sythetic stock, blued.... I immediately reoiled my gun after the hunt, but I could still see the spots on my gun although they weren't rust colored after the oil. I use Rem-oil, is it possible that the bluing on my gun is bad or what? How do I prevent further damage or is it even possible? This rifle is hunted with a lot and it is somewhat abused although I try to take care of it. It just gets dragged through all the woods, sticks and leaves I go through. Even after oiling the gun, without fail the next time it rains - all these outer surface rust spots pop up again worse than before.... help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Outer Surface rust on rifle....

...go to the local hardwhare,pick up a tube of what is called,(MAAS)metal polish cream this is the best stuff i have ever seen.it works.....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-08-2002, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

First, remove all the surface rust. Just plain oiling won't get it. You will have remove the barreled/action from the stock to do the following. To remove the surface rust, take some fine brass wool (extra fine steel wool will work also), apply lots oil to the wool, and gently card or rub the entire outer surface of the receiver, barrel, and floorplate/trigger guard. Pay a little extra attention to the rust spots with the brass wool. If you use steel wool, be careful not to rub to hard, as you may remove the blueing.

After you have removed all the surface rust, apply a good quality oil. Before the hunting season, you may want to apply something like Birchwoood-Casey's SHEATH. It comes in a can to be wiped on or in areasol to be sprayed on. It will dry to create a film over the metal surface, that will not "acciddentally" wipe off or wash off in the rain. Also Brownell's LTS-1 areasol works great to.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never have this problem.All of my guns have stainless actions and barrels and synthetic stocks.I wipe them down at the end of each day and rust has never formed.After each season I remove the action from the stock and do a final cleaning.
Old 01-09-2002, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its not pitted and shouldn't be, #0000 steel wool will take the rust off and polish the area around it. cover the area with a quality oil. I use Remoil with good results.
Old 01-10-2002, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I have a gun out in the rain I always wipe it down with a silicone cloth to dry it then apply rem-oil and have never had a problem. 0000 steel wool and oil will get the rust off if you need it .