Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question about Barnes CR-10....

Old 02-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Spike

Default Question about Barnes CR-10....

It says on the bottle not to leave it in the barrel for more then 15min. On there web site it says this stuff will not ruin your bore, but after it is out the clean steel will rust very very quickly. the thing is it takes me longer then fifteen minutes to clean it, shoud I be worried about wrecking my gun? Afterwards I always run a couple patches of Hoppes Elite gun oil through it, I was told it would neutralize the CR-10, but Im still worried about the hard to reach spots like where the locking lugs lock or is that not such a big deal?!?!? I guess my question is, is this stuff harmfull when used for extended periods of time? or does it not matter so long as you do a good job cleaning it out after...and last of all will it ruin the blue job on the out side of the barrel if it comes in contact with it? I clean my guns once every two weeks( after about 20 shots) is this cleaner to intense to be used that often??..
Old 02-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Question about Barnes CR-10....

if it is ammonia based (take a simple wiff and that should tell you, if not look for ingredients on the label) then yes it is not a good idea. In fact I wouldnt even let it sit on steel for over 5-10 minutes max!

To be safe, spray or wipe in with a patch, a true solvent like Birchwoods Gun Srubber/degreaser. That will get out the ammonia. Unless you let actual pieces sit in a glass full of the ammonia I doubt it would hurt heavier pieces of steel. But you can harm rifling by leaving a thick coat in the barrel for more than a few minutes. That is why you typically must do it several times in succession instead of putting one single heavy coat in the bore and letting it sit up.

Cleaning a rifle after 20 shots is awfully labor intensive if you ask me. Keeping the bore clean after use with a simple Bore Snake is what I prefer. Running metal brushes and acidic solutions through the bore with regularity will do more harm to a tubes accuracy than not cleaning it after each light use. Obviously if you hunt all day in the rain, fog, humidty or shoot/carry the gun in dusty conditions alot, then you might want to clean it more often. Thats why I like the BoreSnakes, simply run it through the bore after each use at the end of the day (no solvents) and you will be getting rid of gunk and moisture that would otherwise sit up and cause pitting/rusting.

Good luck,
RA
Old 02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you follow the instructions to a T, you will be alright. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:37 AM
bigcountry

Oil can't neutralize much. Its not really too basic or acidic. It can wash it out. It can keep moisture from attracting. The dry patchs alone will get out all the ammonia residue that could cause problems. It does attract moisture very quick. Reason for the oil

I have a story on barnes. I was using it at the range. All the sudden they called a cease fire. And I didnt' ask if I could clean it out of the bore I just wettened. Well they are funny about touching your guns during the cease fire. So it was a long cease fire cause new poeple hanging targets or whatever. 20 min later, there was a red residue coming out. It had surface rust in it. And it wasn't down to bare steel either. Before the cease fire, I only wetted the bore, didn't scrub or anything.

Stuff works, just follow the directions. And get it off your nice dewey cleaning rods quick. It eats em up.

I like sweets. Not as powerful as CR-10 but powerful enough. Has the same effect of cleaning out copper but don't eat your rods.

Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used CR-10 extensively without any problems whatsoever. Just use as directed. Does a better job on copper than Sweets in my experience.