Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thompson Encore rifle??

Old 02-23-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Thompson Encore rifle??

I saw a couple of these this weekend and really like the feel and looks of these guns. I really love single shots. How is there out of box accuracy? They seem a little expensive for a single shot, but with the option of interchangeable barrels probably not in the long run. Would anyone recommend them over the N.E.F. single shots?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thompson Encore rifle??

i have 2 encores

one with 15" 7mm-08 pistol barrel with a 4x leupold scope

the other encore i have 3 barrels for
260 rem
7mm
209X50 m/l

i have a ruger no. 1 in 7mm mag

i have a handi rifle in 243

all have there good points, i like shooting all of them , if i could only have one gun i'd take my encore, as long as i could keep all the barrels, if its strictly a price issue buy the nef. the encore barrels have been more accurate than my nef, but i bought the nef to keep out of the safe for coyotes and such

best of luck
Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Typical Buck

The initial price of the Encore is a little steep, but if you consider the versatility of it, its really not that bad. Spend another $200-250 and you've got another rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader/pistol. As for accuracy, I have two pistol barrels in 22-250 and .308 and 3 "long" barrels in .308, 45cal BP and the 12ga turkey barrel and all are fine shooters. Keep in mind, I'm a hunter, not a paper-puncher. If it hovers around an inch at 100yds, then thats good enough for me. I've also heard good things about the NEF, but if you decide to switch barrels, I've also heard that you have to send it back to the factory to have the new barrrel fitted to the frame.? If you decide to go with an Encore, be warned, they're very addictive!!
Old 02-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the T/C Encore and find it unique it it’s design but it does have some flaws. The capability of changing barrels is a plus but as you mentioned they are expensive. I can’t comment on the N.E.F. rifles but if you’re looking for a rifle with the advantage of changing barrels the T/C is the rifle for you. Check out this site if you’re interested in what calibers are available for the t/c Encore on custom barrels. www.virginvalleyguns.com
Old 02-24-2005, 01:43 PM

T/C encore in 7M/08 stainless w/ 24" barrell, best gun I have ever owned I have the 450
marlin "kahtadin" barrell for it as well, What a cannon that is.
I have a Handi-rifle in heavy brl. 223 which is quite a bit less in cost but is also a nice shooter which I have not had any problems with.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 AM

what do you think of the .280 Encore -

I've seen it used on a few hunting videos and it looks like it could be a real nice round.

Never shot one myself - just looking for some input.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a "few" barrels for my Encore,hard to beat...
Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

what do you think of the .280 Encore -
don't own one but have shot a few, if i wasn't covered up in 7mm stuff i might consider one very comparable to the 7mm mag w/o the belted case, btw everyone i know that has one likes the cal, most guys that have them that i know all have long tubes 26" very good cal. from what i've seen.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:42 PM

I think the 280 is a great round but I think you need a long barrel to fully appreciate it's potential, I dont like carrying anything that long around all day long,but I guess if you sit by a beanfield you could do some long distance shooting with it. Good luck with your decision. Regardless you can't go wrong w/ an encore.