Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

a good shotgun for my wife

Old 09-10-2002, 02:13 AM

Default a good shotgun for my wife

I've been lugging my 870 around since the dawn of time--I ritualistically clean it about once every other year when it jams. that ain't every going to change.

But my petite wife is another story. She's currently shooting a 20 gauge pump that just doesn't fit her at all. Even though it feels like a toothpick when I try to shoot it, it's obviously too big for her. She's been shooting a rifle for just over a year and is a natural at it, so I think if I can find her a good scattergun she could slay many a duck and quail this fall.

Problem is that she's only 5-4, about 125lbs. Small, short arms. Doesn't like recoil one bit (and whines a LOT when it gets on her nerves). Doesn't want to carry anything heavy, but would probably love the margin of error of a 12 gauges over a 20.

I'm speculating that she might prefer a semi-auto, because the recoil is typically less harsh and she can position her brace hand over more of the stock than you can with a pump. I'm also thinking I might be able to find some 7/8 oz load shells, to further dampen the kick.

But I haven't a clue as to where to start on guns. Anybody have a gun their son or wife uses that's designed for somebody smaller? If so, is it any good?

Old 09-10-2002, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: a good shotgun for my wife

There are plenty of auto's out there with many of the makers offering a youth/womans model with dimenstions for the smaller shooters.
The 20ga. with 7/8 oz is plenty of gun for any upland game and doublely so if hunting over a dog. The Bennelli auto is very light but I'm not sure if it come in a youth model. Beretta has a short stock available and thier guns cast and drop can be tweeked some with the shims they come with.
If you shoot over a dog and keep shoots under 40 yards quality target loads in 7 1/2's would do for most birds. For pheasants you might want to go to a #6 for a second shot but you don't have to get the hyper velocity heavy stuff. The normal standard field load is plenty.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:31 AM

When my wife first got into deer hunting she used my 20ga featherweight. Nice and light, but didn't fit her well (she is also small, 5'1 and might weight 115). Two years ago we bought her a Winchester 1300 youth/ladies model. She handles the weight fine, the shorter stock and action of the pump fits her much better. I have 3 Winchester 1300's and haven't had a single problem. This may not help you much since you are looking for a semi-auto, but figured I would share just in case.

--Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs--
Old 09-10-2002, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

im going to second the winchester 1300... they're pretty light and VERY dependable.

semi's tend to be a little heavier than pumps. browning has a gold for youths. problem with many semi's is that they might not eject a SUPER LIGHT load like a 12 gauge 7/8 oz. i think u're suppost to start a 1 1/8 oz. or 1 1/4 oz.

POST A GUNREVIEW TODAY!
http://gunreviews.to.gs
Old 09-11-2002, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

You, might want to check out brownings website, they have a semi auto gold designed specifically for women. If she is interested in a 12 ga. semi the Beretta 391, and Browning Gold/Winchester SX2's are very soft in recoil, but you would have to have the stock fitted to her, which probably means a higher comb and a shorter pull at the least. But a properly fitted gun will leave her with much less perceived recoil.

Gordon

...with the priveledge of hunting comes the responsibilty to respect the outdoors...
Old 09-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington or Browning 20 guage auto in a youth model, or have the stock shortened.

Old 09-13-2002, 11:59 AM

My wife shoots a Beretta A303 20g. She had the stock cut down and new recoil pad installed. Gas operation does wonders for recoil and the gun handles and swings very easily. If recoil is a problem, even the best 12g. will be a bear compared to a 20.

BUCKGOBBLER WANNABE
Old 09-15-2002, 12:16 PM

Check out Verona Shotguns !! You can get a black syn stock ventalated rid with tru-glo sight's semi auto 12 ga. for 295.99 !! I know a guy who bought one for his son last year and they have had no trouble with it at all. CHECK IT OUT !!
Old 09-15-2002, 01:14 PM

You might want to also check out the Ithaca 37 youth/women's 20 guage. It's a very nice gun that shoots great and handles very well. here's thier link in case you would like to see them.....

http://www.ithacagun.com/

Tick a Liberal Off, Buy a Hand Gun!
http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!