Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First rifle

Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default First rifle

Well, my son got his first big game rifle tonight for his 12th birthday. To keep it simple, rugged and relatively inexpensive we bought him a Remington 700 ADL synthetic in 30-06. All matte blue including the bolt with iron sights and a 22 inch barrel.

Now he just has to save up his allowance for a scope to top it off.

He's like a pig in.................... uhm,................................. stuff. All he's been talking about tonight is going out to the range tomorow.

First thing I gotta do though is replace that stupid lawyer bolt shroud with an after market piece with out that "J" safety piece of junk sticking out of it.[:'(]
Old 02-20-2005, 08:31 AM

Default RE: First rifle

ORIGINAL: bigbulls
Well, my son got his first big game rifle tonight for his 12th birthday. To keep it simple, rugged and relatively inexpensive we bought him a Remington 700 ADL synthetic in 30-06. All matte blue including the bolt with iron sights and a 22 inch barrel.
He's like a pig in.................... uhm,................................. stuff. All he's been talking about tonight is going out to the range tomorow.

First thing I gotta do though is replace that stupid lawyer bolt shroud with an after market piece with out that "J" safety piece of junk sticking out of it.[:'(]
Congrats to you & your son!
You might want to think about changing that bolt safety. I've got a Remington 700 LSS
Mtn. rifle, and it too has the "J" safety piece in the bolt. I just leave it unlocked, and I've had no problems.
Changing this or removing it may affect any warranty from Remington. Worse yet, and God forbid anything should happen, but in the event of an accident, with the "safety" tampered with, Remington could be absolved of any negligence/responsibility in any product liability litigation that could come along. This could leave you hangiing out there on your own. It's up to you, of course, but I just don't think it's worth the risk.
Just my .02
Take care, and hope you both have a great day at the range.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well seeing as how BB is a gunsmith I don't imagine that safety will be an issue. However the liability in case of an accident would be. I also just leave the ISS unlocked on all my Remingtons and haven't had any problems.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

BB...

I let my wife shoot the 30-06 (Sako 75)... She couldn't manage the recoil, I then let her shoot the "reduced" recoil loads and she did much better. I should have started with the reduced recoil loads as it would have not made her gun shy in the first place, pun intended!
Old 02-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll bet that was exciting for both of you. He can use that gun for just about everything. I'll bet he's dying to get to the range and try that puppy out. I know I would be. Hope you both have fun at the range.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

ahhhhh brings back such memories... i remember feeling just like him for my 10th birthday when i was allowed to upgrade from the daisy bb gun! and yes.. screw that J-lock bolt shroud...

Jamie
Old 02-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Went to the range today but they had it closed.[&:] Oh well. Guess we'll try again next week sometime. He can handle the recoil from a 30-06 no problem. A 12 gauge and a 300 mag are no problems for him. He's a big kid.

I know the "J" lock device will cause no problems with the function of the gun. It's just the "principality" of it not being on there. 700's were perfectly safe before the Lawyers and California, and other states like it, imposed their misguided views on the rest of us.

The only time bullets are in the gun is when we are at the range or hunting. The locking device would be unlocked any how. And just like the rest of you that don't use it if an accidet happens you will be just a liable as me when I replace it. If you store your rifle with out locking the shroud and an accident happens with that rifle you will be held liable.

Just like adjusting the trigger. Once you make adjustments to the rifle Remington will not be responsible for anything that should happen and you will be defending yourself in court.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good deal always good to bring a youngster into the fold. As far as the wart goes Brownells takes care of it for about 45 bucks but you already probably know that. I found it made the letoff that much crisper talk about a convoluted firing pin spring with that ISS. What where they thinking.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:04 AM

He's like a pig in.................... uhm,................................. stuff.
Dead pig in the sunshine. Gets the point across and don't have any problems with the censor.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice first rifle. My own son's first personally owned gun was the exact same thing, but my son had to wait for his senior year graduation present. Up until that time he used his Grandpa's Savage 99 in 300 Savage w/ Redfiled receiver sights. His eyes were good enough for the irons.
Now your son can begin filling the rest of his own gun locker. With a 12 ga shotgun with a couple barrels, a .243 and a 375 H&H, this young man will be able to hunt and kill just about anything he wants. Happy Hunting.

Quick Reply: First rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.