Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weaver Grand Slam - which rings/bases?

Old 02-19-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Weaver Grand Slam - which rings/bases?

Hello All. I have recently decided on buying a Weaver 3-10x40 Grand Slam, Matte Finish, Dual-X, 1" rifle scope for my 30-06 Browning A-Bolt II Medallion. So now I need to buy the rings and bases. I've decided I want to buy the Weaver Quad Lock Rings (I think they look very nice and I have read they are very durable and strong). This is what I am planning to buy:

https://www.dnrsports.net/miva/merch...e=quadringswea

Being new to the optics field, will these rings work with my scope and rifle? I believe they will - however, I want to be sure before I purchase.

And I still need to buy a base too. I figured I would just buy from the same site, however, I don't know which brand or kind of base to buy. It obviously needs to be compatable to my scope, rifle and rings, but I also want them to be strong. I would very much appreciate suggestions as to what base to buy and where from.

Finally, is there anything else I need for a proper mount? As I said before, I am a novice in scopes. I do not plan to mount this scope myself, but I want to make sure I have all of the necessary items before I go somewhere to have an experienced person mount it. I appreciate any advice you guys may have. Thanks a lot.
-Aaron
Old 02-19-2005, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weaver Grand Slam - which rings/bases?

I have the Weaver Quad Locks on my Rem 700 .243 and they work great and look nice.

HOWEVER I did not like them on my Browning A-bolt

I would get something a little higher quality for the A-bolt. I would suggest you look at the Leupold PRW rings & QRW bases. Same style set up, except that they are steel and alot better quality. There is just no sence in spending that much on a gun & scope and using cheap rings. Get the PRWs rings HERE and the QRW bases HERE
Old 02-19-2005, 01:35 PM

jdreddish, Thanks a lot for the advice. Since you own the same gun, I'm sure you know what youre talking about and I feel fortunate to learn from your experiences. Thanks for the links too.
-Aaron
Old 02-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you buy the Grand Slam you shouldn’t be disappointed. I also have a Grand Slam and find them to be very well made for the price. The design might look a little different but the adjustment on the power ring is allot easier to use then all my other scopes. Good luck in your set up.......