Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun Shooting/Turkey Questions

Old 02-18-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shotgun Shooting/Turkey Questions

Hi guys,

I will admit I don't know much about shotguns but I am sort of addicted to Turkey hunting (did it once). My first shot gun was a Mossberg 835 it had fiber optic rear and front sight. I now own a Stoeger 2000 and it only has a front white bead site.

I really just need general shooting info about a shotgun.

1) Do I need a rear sight for Turkey hunting?

2) What shells should I use to hunt Turkey's? What shells should I sight in with?

3) What is the drop on a shotgun? (ie how much shoot over at 40 or 50 yards?

4) Max range?

5) How many pellets should I be seeing in what size circle?

6) One eye or two eyes? Or do I get on target with two and then switch to one to take the shot?

I need answers to all these questions. Thanks

Tom
Old 02-18-2005, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Shotgun Shooting/Turkey Questions

I Use Just The Bead On The Front..I Did By A Tru-Glow Lite Tube To Fit End Of Barrel, Very Nice

2) What shells should I use to hunt Turkey's? What shells should I sight in with?
Just Try Out Diff Set-Ups. Also If HNI Dont Care...Heres A Link To Check Out.
[link]http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php[/link]

Every Gun Is Diffrent..Also Every Load (shell) Is Diffrent

4) Max range?
Every Gun Is Diffrent..Also Every Load (shell) Is Diffrent

At 60 Yards, I Got 28 IN The Head, Neck...But Everyone Can Be Diff

6) One eye or two eyes? Or do I get on target with two and then switch to one to take the shot?
1 Eye To Aim....[&:] But Whatever Your More Comfortable With..Try Both Out When Patterning Your Gun.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info but can you provide a starting point on the type of shells I want to start out with? (brand, size and number) My gun can only shoot 2-3/4 and 3" shells.

By Tru-glo light tube you mean a longer front site that sits flush to the barrel?

Thanks
Tom
Old 02-18-2005, 09:41 PM

Ummmm....Winchester Supremes Are Popular...I Recomend Trying Out #4s...Costs About 4-6$ A Box
[link]http://www.truglosights.com/content/products/firearm/wing_clay_shooting/tru_point_sight.asp[/link]

Thats The Sight I Have....Low Profile Bright To.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: turkeyhunter_15

Ummmm....Winchester Supremes Are Popular...I Recomend Trying Out #4s...Costs About 4-6$ A Box
[link]http://www.truglosights.com/content/products/firearm/wing_clay_shooting/tru_point_sight.asp[/link]

Thats The Sight I Have....Low Profile Bright To.

RIGHT-ON...turkeyhunter_5, you know how!!

KEEP ON ROOTING!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 06:51 AM

Shooting 3" win supremes & grouping great at 40 yrds, Useing Mossberg ultra mag.....Last season Shot a Gobbler at 40 yrds even & counted 6 to the chest & 12 to the neck & 3 to the head using #5 shot.....If its working dont change a thing, Win & rem hevi shot out on the market but atad expensive, & got a question of My own, Will this hevi-shot Eat The barrel up quicker ? & eat up my choke as well, since its made for lead ?......I use 3 decoys when I hunt & space them out At differant shooting yardages To maximize My shot, That way you know exactly How far out your gobbler is & theres no guessing.....Looking foward to May 1st !!!! Last fall Almost had a Tom with my bow But forgot Feather mass , Rookie mistake .......But Got a tail feather out it all thou & boy it was fun, This year shooting a 50 pound pull Bow instead of my 65 , alot easier Pulling my my knee's...Ok Im rambling, i'll stop......
Old 02-26-2005, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hi guys,

I will admit I don't know much about shotguns but I am sort of addicted to Turkey hunting (did it once). My first shot gun was a Mossberg 835 it had fiber optic rear and front sight. I now own a Stoeger 2000 and it only has a front white bead site.

I really just need general shooting info about a shotgun.

4) Max range?

I need answers to all these questions. Thanks

Tom
1. you dont need one, but it helps some people. without one, just make sure your cheek is on the stock, and then point (aim) using the front bead.

2. there are to many shells to name. just about every ammuntion manufactuer makes turkey loads. the kind also depends on the gun u are using. you need to make sure your gun will handle the shells (ex. put 3in. shells in a 3in. chamber, dont put 3 1/2in in a 3 in, ect.) also make sure your choke is the right choke. dont shoot hevi-shot through anthying but a heavy shot choke. as for sighting in a shotgun, you dont. you just shoot, and see what holds the best patterns

3. after about 40 yds, dont even take a shot, you wont hit anything but the ground.

4. they max range (not killing range) is probably 60yds aiming almost straight up.

5. you only need 5-6 pellets to kill a turkey, as long as ur aiming at the head. the more pellets you can put in the head, the better.

6. just see what works. for me its one eye, but many people use 2. just try things out

micah