Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

sighting in a rifle question

Old 02-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Default sighting in a rifle question

i got my savage 270 sighted in at 100 yards dead on. it is about an inch low from 200(which is what i expected) I have a bushnell banner6-18x50 scope on it. I was curious and shot it from 50 yards. It was consisntely 3-4 inches low. It is bc of the distance from the scope cross hairs to the barrel. Would u recommend shooting high to compensate this distance when shooting from say 25-75 yards?
Old 02-15-2005, 06:43 PM

Default RE: sighting in a rifle question

If you plan on taking ANY shot less than 100 yds you need a lower mag scope with a smaller objective lens so that you can use shorter ring mounts. Another option is to get big see-thru mounts so that you can drop eye and use irons at short range.

It realy just depends on how far away you expect your target to be. If you sigted in at 100, then I expect you overpurchased on your scope.

Hopefully that is helpful.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:47 PM

it was the rilfe i had been looking for. It was a very good price. It just happened to have to much scope on it. It is a nice scope but possibly a bit much. I willl just adapt to it and know that i have to aim high at short ranges. Ill make it work
Old 02-15-2005, 06:56 PM

something is not right with your numbers. even with that scope your crosshairs should be about 2 inches above your bore. for a bullet to hit 3 or 4 inches low at 50 yards it can not be dead on at 100yds. the only time your bullet can be this low with this set-up would be on the down side of your shot. being after the bullet passes threw your crosshairs the second time. even a 100 grain in this caliber will drop close to 3inches if it is sighted at 100yds. if your bullet is 3 inches low at 50yds it will never cross threw your crosshairs. just cannot happen.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:17 PM

i shoot 150 grain..i shot 20 rounds yesterday. conditions were not the best...what would u expect the shot to look like from 50 yards if it is sighted in dead on from 100 yards. where do u think the bullet would hit from 200 yards. any suggestions on adjusting my shot when im in the woods hunting?
Old 02-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

what is the average distance that your going to be shooting? you could possibly try sighting your rifle at 25 yards. the only problem with that is that you wont know at what distance your bullet will be traveling back through the crosshair. what i dont think your understanding is that when your bullet fired it will spin out of your barrel, drop and then rise, and then fall again. kinda like a rainbow or arch.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

DK, I can't agree with your statement that the bullet drops and then rises again. Usually the barrel is pointed slightly upward. The bullet rises and then drops. If you held the barrel level with the ground the bullet would begin to drop as soon as it left the barrel and never rise above the bore.Here's an interesting tidbit- if you fired a gun held parallel with the ground, and simultaneously dropped a bullet from the same height, they would hit the ground at the same instant.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:18 PM

here are the numbers on that caliber.
25 yds. it will be about 3/4 inch low
50 yards about 1/4 low
65 yards will be dead on. this is the first time threw your cross hairs
75 yards will be 1/4 high
100 yards will be dead on again. this is the second time threw yor hairs.
from here on it is all down hill.
150 yards -1-1/4 low
175 yards 2-1/2 low
200 yards about 4 inches low.
the further you sight your gun in the quicker it will cross your hairs
these are for a 200 yard dead on
30 yards will be dead on this is the first time threw your hairs
100 yards will be 2 in. high
200 yards will be dead on again. this being second time threw your hairs.
the rise of the bullet is caused by the bore sitting at a slightly upward position vs the scope pointing directly at the target. think of a gun as a small version of artilary. the farther you want to shoot the higher you have to hold the bore. hope this makes sense to you.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Try this website. It might help.

[link=http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm]
Old 02-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set your scope 3.0" high at 100 yds. and you should have no problem hitting an animal the size if deer, and up out to 300 yds. with a 140 gr. bullet. Good luck.

Quick Reply: sighting in a rifle question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.