Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FMJ

Old 02-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FMJ

Most full metal jackets tumble in flesh. The designers deny they did that deliberately, but only the Swiss have taken pains to insure theirs do not tumble in flesh.

From what I'vbe seen with shooting BIG pumpkins with FMJs I would have to disagree. Btween a buddy and me, we put about 20 FMJs from a 30-06 through a large ~50lb pumpkin and couldn't discern any damage until we looked at it. Every bullet left the pumpkin the way it came in- flying straight and true. I'm not going to say that its the same as shooting flesh, as most aniamls don't have 2" of tough rind covering them.

i would nevber use fmjs for hunting.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
bigcountry

this is kinda funny
I don't see it funny at all and I usually see contraversy very funny with these guys. Its the really dark part of hunting that really hurts the spirit of hunting legal or not. Its all about the kill. Thats it.

It should be handled more responible in texas, but I was hoping common sense and conscience would prefail.

I am not going to say it should be outlawed to mow down animals and let em sit like you do, just a agrivation for us ethical hunters has to put up with and cover up. Kinda like drivers don't want cars to have speed limiters on cars to only go 65 mph max, but we still have to put up with the crap from aggressive drivers and kids.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

It should be handled more responible in texas, but I was hoping common sense and conscience would prefail.

I am not going to say it should be outlawed to mow down animals and let em sit like you do, just a agrivation for us ethical hunters has to put up with and cover up.
i wish the world was perfect, it once was, we can all thank a sly little serpant for the loss of our perfect world.

some ranchers have hard times with prarie dogs. so they open the place to hunters to kill them off. some ranchers poison them off. is that ethical? the prarie dogs are just minding their lives just living but they are a hazard to cattle. i dont know of anyone that eats prarie dogs but they are hazard to cattle, which is a source of income to ranchers. these ranchers would concider them pests. same way with the farmers and hogs. they are pests. if these populations aren't controled they would take over the place. its bad when high school kids in the small town of memphis texas have their ffa show pigs in a pen behind the high school and the wild pigs are breaking in the pens to get to the sows. the town police have killed one boar on the country club golf course, which is in the middle of town, one boar two blocks from the court house.

i dont think its hunting when a person pays thousands of dollars to hunt a high fenced lease. to me thats not hunting or ethical. i have no remorse killing wild pigs and leaving them lay. its time to quite beating this dead horse, we all have our stand on this topic.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The FMJ will tumble in flesh, reversing from point first to butt first in its path, I recall about after a few inches travel in the body. That's based on Army Medical Corps autopsies. That is also where they found bullets breaking up on the cannelure. I would expect it to do so on any medium sized critter. Nuff said on that.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The FMJ will tumble in flesh, reversing from point first to butt first in its path, I recall about after a few inches travel in the body. That's based on Army Medical Corps autopsies. That is also where they found bullets breaking up on the cannelure. I would expect it to do so on any medium sized critter. Nuff said on that
Will it do it every time? 1 time out of 10? 1 time out of 100? Like I said, I tested FMJs on solid fruit myself, and the results were less than inspiring. FMJ's did minimal damage- a caliber sized entry and exist hole, that for he most part sealed itself back up, even a remington corelokt bullet would do spectacular damage to fruit, but a FMJ would not.

I would expect it to do so on any medium sized critter
There is a good reason why its illegal to use FMJs for hunting in most places- they do minimal damage, even if they tumbled, they would still do minimal damage. FMJs are not a hunting bullet, though I can see using them on small animals like coyotes on down.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:43 PM

-
Old 02-12-2005, 10:48 PM

Then there is totally relaxed flesh as if you were sleeping, to absoulutely taunt as if you were freezing and shivering all over. Scared might run pretty close to freezing. Those conditions affect the performance of bullets also. I think you'd have to characterize fruit as green or ripe, but never scared