Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

FMJ

Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FMJ

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

And you wanted to put down people using a 243 Win? First of all if you aren't going to eat the hogs you have no business shooting them, secondly use the right bullet for the job and it isn't a FMJ genius.

first buddy, i wasn't putting down the .243. its a excellent round but not for hogs. second, no i dont eat them, you dont eat a rat when you kill it in a trap do you? these hogs here are a pest. when the game wardens are using helicopters with spotlights to hunt them with fully automatic weapons and leaving the carcasses there due to the hogs being a pest to farmers and ranchers in the area why cant i use a FMJ to kill them. the wardens leave them laying there to rot. a lot of farmers and ranchers are trying to trap them but the hogs are very smart. you might catch them once in a trap but they get wise to it and wont go in. thanks for the reply.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Curious Dk, why don't ya eat em? Are they that much more gamey than domestic hog where you are at?
well bigcountry we have ate some and still do if its a good size. we have found that the smaller sows are better eating. generaly around the 100 lb range. there not that gamey, we have found that the best way is to smoke the whole pig, i'm not sure for how long i'm not the cook. i do all my hunting off the red river in texas. the deer hunting is getting better, passed up on a good 8 pointer this year. the hogs here is whats so fun. there's a never ending supply of them and its legal.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:11 PM

Most full metal jackets tumble in flesh. The designers deny they did that deliberately, but only the Swiss have taken pains to insure theirs do not tumble in flesh. [X(]
Old 02-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: biscuit jake

dkhammer, I am wondering what cartridge and bullet weight you used.
i was using old military surplus ammo FMJ 147 gr. i know this is not a hunting round per say but if your just hog hunting, they will take the hogs down. i know the FMJ was designed to injure a human rather than kill a human. the military thought it more stratigic to would the enemy than kill him. if an enemy is wounded it will take his buddies to carry him from the battle field. this elliminates two or more enemy fighters. "push on" my commander said. makes since to me.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

second, no i dont eat them, you dont eat a rat when you kill it in a trap do you?
If you can't see the difference between a hog and a rat then you are more dense than I thought.

the wardens leave them laying there to rot.
Anyone else having trouble believing this or is it just me?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

i'm probably going to get scolded from many hunters on the forum but we dont eat the hogs we kill. nobody does really. if there not trapped most people just through the carcass in a ditch or just drag them out of the field.
i can believe it but i can't understand it, so far the only critter i don't care for eating, that i have killed, are squirrel's and javalina's, but i like wild hog and wouldn't ever leave one in a ditch, if i kill it i eat it, except for coyotes

if there not trapped
, from what i've seen and heard this is the best solution, hogs are really a pain and most places that have them don't want them, so trap them out!!!!
Old 02-12-2005, 02:02 PM
bigcountry

Unfortunatly I believe it. I hear about wardens doing it all the time here in MD or places that deer are so abundent that the hunters for the hungry turn away deer during peak days. Farmers on the eastern shore of MD are real bad to let deer rot. So I can see it with pigs too. Its ashame. I figure if it ain't hurtin me or have a direct impact on me, and I don't eat it, I let animals walk.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Seems like a good way to start some dieases floating around. Just doesn't seem like sound ecological practice, nor does it seem at all ethical.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: frizzellr

Seems like a good way to start some dieases floating around. Just doesn't seem like sound ecological practice, nor does it seem at all ethical.
That was my exact thought when I read it.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

[/quote]

[/quote]

believe it or not, its the truth. if you are having a hard time digesting this stuff i could probably get you several numbers of farmers in the area that will agree with me. this is kinda funny

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.