Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Inferior Rounds

Old 02-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Default RE: Inferior Rounds

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

In other states and places like military installations buck shot is the only thing you can legally use.

It's not the buck shot that wounds the animals. It's the people behind the trigger that do not respect the limitations of buck shot. That sounds very similar to what the anti's say about guns in general. You know.... "guns kill people".[:'(]

Yes it can definetly make a differance. Perhaps you should go out and actually pattern a shotgun sometime with different loads and different gagues. Charts like the one you quoted mean very little in the real hunting world.

Everything from the 243 on up is over kill for deer.

It also has a very fat case for its length. This can result in jams in fast cycling of the bolt. It also costs about twice as much to shoot.

Give me a list of states that you can only shoot buckshot.

You've just said it yourself. Buckshot has limitations. More than 40 yards and buckshot is pretty useless on deer.

If you think the 10 gauge is so much better than the 3 inch 12 gauge for geese, then get a 3 1/2 inch 12. It only goes 60 fps less than the 10 3 1/2. You can't argue with that.

If I remember correctly, on another thread you said you wouldn't use a cartridge for bear that wouldn't be considered overkill on deer. From what you said here, you would use a .243. What a nut.

The jamming is not even true bigbulls. They wouldn't be selling if that were true.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:33 PM

How do you figure that? Let's look at Federal's ballistics table: A 10 gauge 1.7 oz (766 grain) hollow point slug leaves the muzzle traveling at 1280 fps packing 181 ft/lbs. The 20 gauge .7 oz (328 grain) hollow point slug leaves the barrel 1680 fps and 133 ft/lbs of energy. The 20 gauge is moving 400 fps faster yet the 10 has an extra 48 ft/lbs of energy. Out at 100 yards, the 10 gauge is moving 970 fps and 104 ft/lbs of energy. On the other hand, the 20 gauge is moving at 1111 fps yet only has 58 ft/lbs of energy. The 10 gauge has almost twice as much energy. Where I hunt, knockdown power is much more critical than speed. Please, I'm begging you, don't tell me what gauge is best for where I hunt. Around here, the 10 is better than the 20. However, the 12 has them both beat, but that's a whole 'nother thread.
I'm not talking about a 20 gauge rifled slug vs. a 10 gauge rifled slug. A 20 gauge sabot has much less kick than a 10 gauge rifled slug and is far superior. A core-lokt ultra bonded sabot will send a 260 grain slug at 1900 fps and still have 1500 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards plus it's flatter than the 10.

I have seen geese at 30 yards shot with a 20 guage and not stop flying, especially with small steel. Sometimes BB, BBB, and even T won't knock 'em out of the air. Geese can take off of the ground if they have steel in them and did NOT get knocked off their feet. Geese are an amazingly though animal, and if you hunt them with 20 guages exclusively, you will miss many opportunities for dead birds when the 20's larger cousins will get you dinner.
If you want to take a kid out goose hunting the 20 gauge is perfect. The other gauges like the 28 gauge can't take geese.

I do not understand the "fad" of these short magnum calibers. I understand the helpfulness of having a lighter gun that employs a shorter action, but that's just a personal fit to individual hunters and shooters. And I'm not a particularly smart man, but I understand enough to know that if everything else is held equal, the same caliber will have superior ballistics out of a case with more powder.
The 25 WSSM has 14% less powder than the 25-06 but it goes just as fast because the powder burns more efficiently due to the fatter case.

And if you think I'm going to be giving up my 7MM Rem Mag for a SAUM, again, you are just wrong.
I never said the SAUMs were good.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Give me a list of states that you can only shoot buckshot.
Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.

You've just said it yourself. Buckshot has limitations. More than 40 yards and buckshot is pretty useless on deer.
Well no $#%& Sherlock. Everything has limitations. You are not shooting laser beams here.

If you think the 10 gauge is so much better than the 3 inch 12 gauge for geese, then get a 3 1/2 inch 12. It only goes 60 fps less than the 10 3 1/2. You can't argue with that.
Here you are arguing about how the 30-06, 270, etc... etc... are inferior because of the less velocity they produce compared to magnums and then you say that the 12 gauge 3.5 inch is superior to a 10 gauge and it only looses 60fps and now it's OK? Whick side of the fence are you going to sit on here. 60 fps is pretty substantial in the shot gun world.

If I remember correctly, on another thread you said you wouldn't use a cartridge for bear that wouldn't be considered overkill on deer. From what you said here, you would use a .243. What a nut.
Don't sit there and try to put words into my mouth. Shooting a 150 pound deer and a 1200 pound grizzly bear are not even in the same world as far as hunting goes. No where did I even suggest a .243 would be a bear cartridge. No $#%& I would choose a rifle to hunt bears that would be considered over kill for deer.

The jamming is not even true bigbulls. They wouldn't be selling if that were true.
FYI a short fat case like the WSSM's are much more succeptable to jamming than a long slender case.

Please go read the book called "THE IDIOTS GUIDE TO GUNS" and come back when you actually learn something.

I am still waiting on your list of inferior rounds oh great wise one.

Please also tell us where you get this wealth of knowledge from. Is it from your extensive in the field experience? Or is it from reading Guns and Ammo? Or is it something you conjured up all on your own?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Fort A.P. Hill in Virginia.
In other states and places like military installations buck shot is the only thing you can legally use.
This is a quote from you. Did you just mean a military installation in a state? If you meant that, I could really careless because that effects pretty much no one. From that quote of yours, you seem to be applying that there were states that wouldn't allow slugs.

Well no $#%& Sherlock. Everything has limitations. You are not shooting laser beams here.

Well duh, but some things have more limitations than others.

Here you are arguing about how the 30-06, 270, etc... etc... are inferior because of the less velocity they produce compared to magnums and then you say that the 12 gauge 3.5 inch is superior to a 10 gauge and it only looses 60fps and now it's OK? Whick side of the fence are you going to sit on here. 60 fps is pretty substantial in the shot gun world.
No, it's just asinine because the 10 gauge weighs 10 to 12 pounds and kicks more than a 12. You think that justifies the 60 fps difference?

Here you are arguing about how the 30-06, 270, etc... etc... are inferior because of the less velocity they produce compared to magnums and then you say that the 12 gauge 3.5 inch is superior to a 10 gauge and it only looses 60fps and now it's OK?
I've got something very similar to this. Here you are arguing that the WSMs should go away, they jam, and the difference isn't that big compared to the standard cartridges but yet you have a 300 WSM.

Don't sit there and try to put words into my mouth. Shooting a 150 pound deer and a 1200 pound grizzly bear are not even in the same world as far as hunting goes. No where did I even suggest a .243 would be a bear cartridge. No $#%& I would choose a rifle to hunt bears that would be considered over kill for deer.
If you didn't have so much posts I'd be able to find it.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:13 PM

No $#%& I would choose a rifle to hunt bears that would be considered over kill for deer.
Now I don't have to find that post of yours anymore. You've just said it again. Here's a quote from you on the 3rd page of this thread...

Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is a quote from you. Did you just mean a military installation in a state? If you meant that, I could really careless because that effects pretty much no one. From that quote of yours, you seem to be applying that there were states that wouldn't allow slugs.
It effects the hundreds of hunters that hunt there but since they do not matter and you are aparantly selfish enough not to care about anyone but yourself here are the counties where slughs are illegal in VA.
Goochland, Louisa, Northumberland, Prince George, Prince William, & Westmoreland.

No I am not going to go to every states hunting regulations to proove you MORE wrong than I already have. When you are wrong you are wrong.

So from that you get that I suggest that I would use a 243 on Grizzly bears?

Again you are comparing apples to oranges. If you want to quote me then referance back to why I posted that in the first place.

quote:

It's overkill on deer. It has a long action and is a belted magnum. The recoil would be on the extreme side.
In other words...... What's your friggin point?

You said the flattest shooting round was the 7mmWSM and you were proven wrong by bawanajim.
The 7 WSM can take all the game in America and is the flattest of all calibers.
You said the 30-378 was over kill for deer. I said anything from the 243 on up was over kill for deer. Again, in other words please make a point here.

I've got something very similar to this. Here you are arguing that the WSMs should go away, they jam, and the difference isn't that big compared to the standard cartridges but yet you have a 300 WSM.
Aparantly you are not able to read or comprehend the text that is on your screne. Not once did I argue that any cartridge should go away including the 25 wssm. AND the WSSM is not the same cartridge as the WSM. Or did you not know this? But facts are facts. A the shorter and fatter the case becomes the more prone to jamming it becomes.

I will ask again.............
Please give us your list of inferior cartridges. You seem to know so little please show us how little you really know.

Please tell us where you get all of your information from so that we can also be as wise as you are.[8D]
Old 02-11-2005, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever had a use for a 10 guage, you'd know that a 3.5" 12 is not a good substitue. There is alot more to wingshooting than how much shot you can cram into a shell, such as patterning, shot strings. The 3.5" 12is a great for turkey hunting, but pretty lousy on big birds such as canadian giants- it doesn't offer much of an advantage over a 3" and has alot more recoil. The extra weight of a 10 guage makes it alot more pleasant to shoot than lighter gun in 3.5" 12.

When people complain about the weight of a gun, my response is, it makes more sense for the gun carrier to loose 2 or 3 pounds of weight than to compromise the gun by trimming it down. people who hunt in the mountains are the exception, but I don't think anyone hunts waterfowl in the hill country of the mountains.

I personally have no use for a 3.5" 12 guage.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 25 WSSM has 14% less powder than the 25-06 but it goes just as fast because the powder burns more efficiently due to the fatter case.
It also has about 3000 - 4000 more PSI of chamber pressure as factory loaded. Loaded to the same pressures the difference is squat. Actually, when the 25-06 is loaded to the same pressures as the 25wssm the 25-06 exceeds the velocity by a substantial margin of a 100+ fps. Just like all of the larger magnums do to the short magnums.

Any other words of wisdom you want to throw out here?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a whole list of inferior rifle rounds that should not be made anymore
would you please enlighten the rest of us, btw i've got a sucker that said he'd like to buy my 7mm stw, i hope its gone before he catches wind of this
Wake up people, there's a revolution going around.
i have decided i'll keep my wifes model 7 in 260 rem, should make a fine squirrel gun[:-]
Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've heard that a patched round ball out of a .50 flintlock won't kill deer anymore either. The ballistics just don't stack up well in comparison with a modern inline frontstuffer that shoots smokeless powder and space age saboted bullets. Its a good thing that people gave up on the old sparkies a long time ago as they have no place in modern day shooting.

Quick Reply: Inferior Rounds

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.