Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

M1 Garand & Surplus ammo

Old 01-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default M1 Garand & Surplus ammo

To the man that posted "wise choices for first time rifle owners". i dont know if you readmy post on this topic. you mentioned that the m1 garand was an option that you were considering. what i was trying to explain in my post is this...

1. you were wanting a rifle that you could mount a scope on, yes you can mount a scope on this rifle with the springfield armory scope mount.

2. a rifle to take hunting. as far as i know you can get them in a 30-06 or 308. capable of taking any game in the lower 48.

3. ammo- my good friend has one and just about all he shoots is the old surplus ammo in the 7.62 FMJ. this ammo can be purchased off the internet for about nearly nothing. (as cheap as i can shoot my .22 magnum) try southwestammo.com

4. accuracy with the surplus ammo is awsome. we have a contest where we hang skeet from awire with clips and shoot them at 200 yards. I cant remember this guy missing with this rifle and the surplus ammo. i've never missed either with it.

I am a big fan of this rifle and the .308 round. the reason i don't have one is there too rich for my blood and as long as he will let me shoot his i guess i can be satisfied. maybe santa will bring me one next Christmas. anyway, goodluck on your purchase.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:00 AM

Default RE: M1 Garand & Surplus ammo

Thanks very much for the advice =)
Old 01-29-2005, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you buy a genuine GI model from CMP, they only cost $400-500 and are built on a military spec forged receiver, not an iffy springfield cast receiver, thouh their quality has been getting better.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Briman I been wantin a Garand for years. How do you go about getting one from the CMP. I have heard of this but as usual am clueless on it.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:32 AM

go to www.odcmp.com and get the info

Be aware that its a rare rifle that will consistenly shoot 4 inch groups with surplus ammo at 200 yards. I've had many garands. Only with tweaking and a bit of luck will you get that one. They are more consistent 3-4 moa rack guns.

Now bed them a bit and reload and its another story. Especially in slow fire. Rapid fire takes even more work.

Jeff
Old 01-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

man what i would give to have a m1, hmm how does my first born sound?
Old 01-29-2005, 04:31 PM

Go look at the link. YOu have to go to a CMP club close to you and fire 1-2 matches. Score does not matter and do NOT let it frighten you off. I was scared the first time. I was taken under the wing by the womans national champ and it helped me. Almost all Highpower shooters are super friendly. Clubs have loaner guns and ammo available.

Then you send off and sometimes wait a year after filling out enough paperwork to get a concealed carry license. In the end its worth it.

And ya might enjoy the shooting enough to do it every so often. Its fun and great shooting practice.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 04:18 AM

The very first time I had the pleasure of shooting a mil-surp Garand , 30.06 , I was hitting targets at 300yd leaning off the back of a pickup . Targets were water balloons and large pop bottles , laid out in a field , which instantly geysered when hit . Impressive to say the least ! Historicaly valued and classy with lots of cheap milsurp ammo for targets and popular hunting rounds that will knock down near anything . Built to withstand the rigors and hardships of battle, these rifles will last a sportsman/hunter indefinately.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 AM

Sorry, I just don't want folks to get the idea that any 400-500 buck CMP rack grade surplus M1 and surplus ammo will shoot any better than 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards and it gets worse the further you go.

Like I said, tweak em and they are usually fine. But it is indeed a rare one that will hold 2 moa out of the box. Thats from having had about 20 of them over the years and from a friend thats been through almost 50 lately looking for a super accurate rack grade for John Garand matches with no luck so far.

The are tough, and they are super fun to hit with. I think everyone should have one in the cabinet. They are heavy, but with the right ammo they even make a super hunting rifle.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

rost, Is it possible to make these things shoot any better? There does seem to be a ton of parts out there..but for the cost Im wondering if it is cost effective or would it be cheaper to just buy an expensive one thats already been tweaked?

Quick Reply: M1 Garand & Surplus ammo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.