Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun show advice!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Gun show advice!!!!!!!

there are a few gun shows coming up the first weeks of february. I am looking to get out of one of them with a quality AR 15. I've got a browning BPS to trade if necessary, but was hoping for some advice. I'm not familiar enough to know what used ones might go for and what to watch out for if I buy used. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Old 01-27-2005, 11:48 AM

Default RE: Gun show advice!!!!!!!

don't you have to get those sent through your FFL, though? I figure that just about makes the 12% a scratch if both pieces get hit at 25$. If I am getting that much better of a rifle though, I'm intrigued.

I just thought I might find a pretty straight shooter used for a nice discount, but I've been more of a pistol nut and haven't shopped ARs at guns shows or otherwise.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Keep this in mind, Not all of the guns at the gun show are bad, but all of the bad guns are at the gun show.

You can also substitute auction for gun show.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:51 PM

Bearbong – You only need to have the lower receiver shipped through an FFL if interstate. Upper receivers, barrels, etc. are considered firearm parts, not a firearm. You can order uppers directly to your house, no problem. I look at it this way, if you buy a complete, new AR, that’ll run $800+ for a good one. The 12% excise tax on complete firearms comes to about $100 on that rifle. A transfer fee of $25 plus s/h should still allow you to save at least $50 by buying the upper and lower halves separately. Plus, then you configure the rifle exactly as you want it. Check out AR15.com, there are some awesome deals over there for AR-15s and related items plus mucho information!

Also, you mention planning to purchase at a gun show. Maybe it’s just where I live but I’d recommend being very careful of buying an AR at a gun show. I’ve seen many times “Frankenstein” AR-15s being sold as 100% new Bushmaster, Colt, etc. rifles by handy-with-tools yet unscrupulous vendors. They’ve basically taken a Bushmaster lower, bought an “FN” upper receiver and no-name barrel, put them together, slapped an $800 price tag on it, then sell it as a Bushmaster AR. I took a loser vendor to task in front of potential customers one time over just what I’ve described. He had a Bushmaster lower that had a non-Bushmaster upper on it and he was selling it as a “real deal, top of the line, unfired” Bushy AR. First of all, the colors didn’t match between upper and lower and though this is not a definite indicator itself, it made me examine the weapon closer. The A2 receiver didn’t have any proof marks on it, the barrel was NOWHERE stamped “BMP” (which 100% of Bushmasters do, period), and if it was only test fired by the factory, I wonder what factory test fires 5 or 6 hundred rounds though their rifles? He was a sleazebag, but not atypical of vendors I’ve seen at shows. [:@]

I know this was a long-winded response (sorry!) but as a diehard AR-15 fan, I just want to make sure you get what you want and not get ripped off in the process. AR-15s are awesome and addicting weapons, but there are a lot of garbage parts and garbage sellers out there in the AR world. Beware though, once you get a nice AR, they’re very addicting. I suffer from a nasty AR habit. Feel free to e-mail me for any more info regarding AR-15s if you’d like. Enjoy.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would stay away from the gunshows. They are fun to go to, but the prices people put on their wares, you'd think that they are made of gold.

Cheapest way to get an AR:

Order a stripped lower receiver from an online source and have it sent to a FFL holder for the paperwork- find a FFL holder who won't charge you an arm and a leg for the transaction, from my asking around, prices for this service range from $15 to $100. Anything over $30 is pretty much a ripoff. The lower receiver will cost you about $100. this site has one for pretty cheap: aimsurplus.com

Order a parts kit for your lower receiver- this can be shipped to your house.

Order a complete assembled upper to your home.

Put the thing together. It takes a bit of time and effort, but it doesn't take a huge amount of skill. If you do a search, you can find videos and books that will show you how to do it.

If you go this route, you will save at least $150-200 over buying an assembled rifle.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:54 PM

That is great advice, 74. I really appreciate that and will probably proceed as you and RR suggested. I'm heading over to that website right now. kill a few more hours of work time. I'm extremely excited about getting my AR. Now, I'll probably skip the ol' gun show!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:13 PM

I am trying to stay on the cheap, but have the money to not buy a pile of crap either. Who makes good lowers, good uppers? I know OA, RR, Bushmaster, Colt, wondering if there is some good quality stuff with a minor price tag for the beginner? I'm mostly going to be using open sights for coyotes, small pigs, varmints, so I don't need match grade, 1000$ quality. BUT any cash I save means more shooters in the stable.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

I highly recommend going through ADCO.. Even with the FFL transfer price to your local dealer you will not be able to beat their prices even on a complete gun... Plus they are true AR professionals, making many custom guns for contractors in Iraq, police, etc.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/rockrive...l.cfm?page=rra

E-mail them with any questions... They are VERY helpful... Don't bother calling, they are horrible about returning phone messages, just too busy I guess..
Old 01-28-2005, 12:24 PM

I've done business with ADCO and they are excellent.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:03 PM

I"ll suggest RRA as a good source for lowers and quality uppers. As a competitive shooter, IMHO you can not go wrong there. Do NOT pay for the COLT name. All lowers that I am aware of(there may be some obscure ones that are not used in competitive circles) are made by the same company. So don't worry about the lowers actual name. RRA is still a good start.

As to the comment on Olympic Arms having the best barrels out there. Having had a few of their tubes and many of other brands, including a replacemen oly tube for a bad oly tube, skip the though of oly barrels. You may get a hummer or a bummer.

Every Wilson Tube I"ve had will shoot better than any Oly tube. IMHO bushy and armalite factory tubes are a gamble too. Some are great, some aren't.

If you are just into plinking this all won't matter much. I'm speaking as a top competitor and what it takes to make most average competitors happy.

Oh yeah-- RidgeRunner. 223 Wylde-- just so folks dont get confused Wylde refers to the chamber reamer type-- not the caliber. Its still a stock 223 Rem. In fact the Wylde actually uses the stock 5.56 nato body with some modifications rather than the saami 223. YOu might try a 50 beowulf too at some point. They are a hoot too!!

Jeff

Quick Reply: Gun show advice!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.