Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handload vs. Factury load.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Handload vs. Factury load.

i posted on here yesterday with a few replies. several people mentioned handloading my rounds. i've had the chance to shoot handloaded ammo in my rifle and none has been as accurate as the factury load. this guy that handloaded for me has been handloading for his many rifles for years. i do have faith in this guy and he couldn't explain it. all he could say is to stick with what shoots well thru my rifle. I have the 300 UM in the Remington Sendero with a burris 8x32x44 Signature select scope. we have a range set up out to 600 yards. i'm able to shoot a 3" shot group at 500 yards with the factury loads. i'm all over the map with the handloads and lucky if i hit the 600 yard target.

i hunt the panhandle of texas and do more hog hunting than anything due to the fact that there is no season on hogs and no limit and you can spot light legally. i do deer hunt here as well, mulies and whitetail. its very flat here and a 500+ yard shot is pretty common. i guess i'd rather spend my free time hunting and shooting than i would spending my time handloading when i can get awsome results with the factury loads that remington is not going to produce anymore.....dang it!

Until next time.... God Bless!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Handload vs. Factury load.

Just because a hand load shoots well for one rifle does not mean thatit will shoot worth a flip in your rifle. To get an accurate hand load you usually need to do some experimenting with different powders, bullets, and how you do the reloading. You never know what one rifle will prefer to shoot.

Give Federals 200 grain partition a shot. It may shoot as well or better thant he Remington load.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

Hey congrads, you have one of the only remingtons that shoot that well with factory ammo that I have seen anyway. Especially partitions. They are not known to be match bullets. If he can't reproduce the results with handloads, then he needs to experiment more with different COL, primers, or powders.

Alot of my handloads I have tried with 300RUM are not as good as factory groups either. But thats during the experimental phase. Its just the nature of the beast. But after a little load development, I have been able to easily and consistently surpass accuracy of factory ammo. I was getting around 4" groups at 300yards with remington factory 180gr when I got my first RUM about 3 years ago every once in a while. But it wasn't consistent between box and box. But with my handloads, I am confident, to see that 3 groups out 3 at 300 yards with 3" groups. Alot depends on this. How I feel that day, wind, etc.

I guess since they don't load it anymore you are going to have to go with Federal or do a little work with load development.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I've had the same thing happen when I loaded for a friends 7mm mag. He couldn't shoot the load I reloaded for him. Instead of changing the charge or powder he just gave up. Some rifles are very touchy about loads. Most of the time it is trying to push the bullet too fast. Wrong bullet weight is a major factor on some rifles at one end of the twist spectrum usally the slower twist barrel have more problems stabilizing heavier bullets vs light. Anyway don't give up on the reloading part you can find the load that will outshoot any factory load you put through it. But then again 3" groups at 500yds is almost phenomenal. I must say you had a perfect day to shoot that group. Kudo's to you. I always think I'm shooting good to keep them in a paper plate at 500yds
Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you do not shoot regularly factory ammo is all you need. Quality factory loads are difficult to match or surpass, but if you shoot frequently reloading is a blast. You save money per shell, but you than shoot more. I enjoy just taking a rifle or pistol to the range or out for a walk in the woods and shoot. The more familiar you are with the firearm the easier it is to shoot well. Working up an accurate load for your favorite firearm is almost as satisfying as the hunt ]
Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 AM

dkhamner,
I don't wish to bore you, but since you obviously don't handload, you seem stuck between your friends load and factory ammo. I'd suggest you stay with factory ammo, as it is more than accurate, than your friend's
load, and he doesn't have a clue! This is sad. Because normally, handloads tailored to any factory firearm tend to perform better than factory ammo. So, in your situation, you are better off with factory fodder.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

i've had the chance to shoot handloaded ammo in my rifle and none has been as accurate as the factury load. this guy that handloaded for me has been handloading for his many rifles for years. i do have faith in this guy and he couldn't explain it.
I think that you put too much faith in this individual.Just because a load is a handload does not make it any more accurate.You must experiment with different powders and bullets until you find the load that shoots best in "your gun".
Old 01-27-2005, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are some loads that pretty much work well across the board for all rifles such as Federal gold medal match loads, and handloaders duplicate them as the components and loadings are wel known, though a lot of care and attention to detail has to done in the reloading process in order to get performace close to factory loads. These loads are generally for rifles in target calibers such as 30-06, .308, and .223 which have been around for a long time and have been experimented on more than anything else out there. I would take your friends advice with a grain of salt, as the 300 RUM hasn't been around that long, isn't shot by hundreds of thousands of people as a target caliber, and a load that has been made to work in one rifle isn't necessarily going to work in another, unless he hasa few few dozen rifles in this caliber and has a single load that is very accurate in all of them.

If you are shooting roughly 1/2 MOA at 500 yards with factory loads, I wouldn't mess with the success. If you can duplicate your success, find other boxes of the same ammo with the same lot number and stock up. If you want to handload to get to that level of performance, you will have a long, expensive, and time consuming uphill struggle.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:32 AM

Experimenting is the name of the game. Factory fodder (lets see what this kicks up) will kill game as fast as anything. But I have never see it compete with hanloads after the experimenting is finished. No two rifle favor the same recipe, you'd be surprised what difference only changing primers will do (at times). I work my stuff up trying all combinations of bullets, col's, powders, degrees of crimps, etc. And it gives a degree of satisfaction knowing what goes into you ammo after it's all said and done. No two rifles are gonna like exactly the same thing...just my 2 cents worth..
Old 01-27-2005, 07:53 AM

Handloads are usually tuned to a rifle - they'll shoot good in that rifle and if they shoot as good or better in another it's luck. 30 years I'd handload hunting ammo, these days I buy it. The quality control on mass manufactured ammo must be incredible, it's performance is very repeatable.

Quick Reply: Handload vs. Factury load.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.