Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Handload vs. Factury load.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:54 AM

Default RE: Handload vs. Factury load.

Dude, if you can put 3 shots in a 3" group at 500 yards, just buy all of that ammo you can find and forget about it.

Ain't no handload gonna do any better.

You have one amazingly precise rifle.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:57 AM
bigcountry

I think that is his gripe you guys. Remington quit making 200gr NP. No more ammo, no more 3" groups at 500 yards.

Old 01-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

my thoughts exactly bigcountry. i don't have the capabilities to handload my own ammo. and with remington doing away with this certain round, i'm pretty dissappointed. i realize that federal is just in the game to make ammo and they will make the 200gn. n/p, were talking an additional $10 to $15 a box more than what i was paying for the remington ammo. so all is not lost on the cartridge but thats a lot of $$$$ for a hard working family man like me. LOL. the military pays ok but not that well, LOL. it might be a little tough bringing the equipment onto a military post to handload.

like i said before, i hunt hogs four days a month and when were not hog hunting we're target shooting. dead is dead no matter what ammo i shoot at a hog/deer/coyote or whatever tha game is. but when we're out there having our little competition at our range i'm very confident in this round.

thanks for the replies all!!!
God Bless!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a 308 Browning A-Bolt. this rifle shoots great but I can't load a load for it that shoots better than factory ammo. I have tried all of my old favorites and tricks but the gun groups at or under one inch with whatever I try in it. Now I quess this is somewhat of a good problem but I am used to being able to better the factory fodder. Whats more irritating is that it seems to like the cheap corlokt about the best of all. My best load for it seems to be the 150 grain Sierra pro-hunter. It shoot partitions and Ballistic tips about the same. The worst group I got has been the barnes X bullet but it groups just around 1 1/2 so even that is good for most of my shots which seldom exceed 200 yards. If your gun likes the factory stuff then enjoy it and spend the time, as you said, out shooting.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:59 AM

Seems like you have 4 choices:

1) see if you can find some shop (do some searching on the net) that still has the discontinued ammo - if you find any, buy it all.

2) try various factory loads until you find one that is best in your rifle - even if it doesn't match the discontinued one.

3) try working with your friend to find a handload that works in YOUR rifle (asuming he is willing to take the time to do this - it can be a time consuming process).

4) start reloading yourself. This can be a costly option and like I said, it can take a lot of time to work up a good load for Your rifle.

Recognize that 3" groups at 500 yds is going to very hard to beat or even match!