Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

stock design

Old 01-24-2005, 11:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default stock design

Is it just me or are nearly all rifle stocks not designed for the scope user. Every bolt rifle I have ever shouldered will not allow you to naturally see through the scope. It seems they are all made for the iron sights user.

Since most bolt action rifles do not have iron sights any more why the lack in stock design for bolt action rifles?

Close your eyes and shoulder any of your bolt action rifles. After you get the rifle shouldered open your eyes and post if you could see a full field of view with out moving your head. I can't. I have to raise my head up and take my cheek off the stock to see through a scoped rifle.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: stock design

I'd have to disagree. It seems to me that most modern rifles are set up so that a scope comes into view pretty naturally. The exception is high-mounted, see through rings. I've tried to use the sights on some rifles, and it's hard for me to get my face low enough. Many don't even have sights. If you look at old rifle designs from the 1930's, the stocks had much more drop and no cheekpieces. These were designed to be used with open sights. But stock designs apparently aren't universally adaptable to everyone's face. Could be that you may have to add a cheek piece to your rifles
Old 01-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never had a problem with it being low , just the opposite with a stock with a cheek piece . I never buy a rifle with one .
Old 01-25-2005, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with bigbulls. I also have the same problem. When ever the subject came up about 50mm scopes being set to high over 40mm scope, it never made a difference to me. I have to raise my head and my cheek is never set on the stock. I just purchased a Sako rifle and that’s about the closet I can get to being perfect without getting a custom stock.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 AM

I have a Luepold VXII on a model 70 featherweight and I notice that at 3x to about 6x it shoulders fine, above that I moving my head around.