Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking for a new wood stock...

Old 01-25-2005, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Looking for a new wood stock...

I was thinking somewhere in the 200-300$ range.

I wish I could pick out my exact piece of wood. I wonder why they don't do that? If they break them down into grades when they come into the shop, why not just let the customer pick out his own?

I've seen some cheap wood stocks (semi-fancy grade or so) that go for $100 that look awfully nice.

I guess I have some apprehension about taking a piece of wood that's 90% of a stock for my gun and turning it into a masterpiece (regardless of the wood grade or type). I'd bet that my first attempt wouldn't be very good, no matter what. Experience has to count.

That said, it sure would be a nice skill to have: the ability to take a piece of wood that cost (hell, even for the AAA fancy grades or exhibition grades you can get for 400$) hundreds of dollars that's 90% cut, fit it to an action and barrel, then finish it.

Oh, and I wish I had more money than brains. Oh I wish.

Then I could buy and build more guns than I had brains too. WHich is not a problem.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Looking for a new wood stock...

You can pick out your grade of wood just not the exact piece of wood. They are just not in the business for that. Their stocks (common actions) are already turned down and inletted and when you tell them you wand AAA fancy they just send you a AAA fancy stock already done. They't not "made to order" so to speak unless you have a less common action.

Doing the final inletting is not too dificult if you take your time and don't get into a rush, It's a long and tedious process to do the final 4% of the inletting. You scrape out only a few thousandths of an inch at a time until it is just right. If you have any wood working ability you should be able to do a 96% inletted stock with no problem at all. All you would really need are some SHARP wood chissels, barrel channel gouge, inletting scrapers, and inletting ink. Outside of that your bedding compound and its necessary stuff, and wood finish.

Oh, and I wish I had more money than brains. Oh I wish.
Yeah, you andme both.[8D]