Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Iver Johnson shotgun question

Old 01-24-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Iver Johnson shotgun question

Can anyone tell me about Iver Jouhnsons "Champion" single shot 12 gauge. I have one but havent a clue as to its age. The info listed on it says cycleworks with a location of Fitchburg,Mass. on the barrel it says -12 GAUGE FULL CHOKE AND LUG FORGED IN ONE- Behind the trigger is a 4 letter sequance.
All I do know about the gun is my dad inherited it in 1979 from my grandfather. Sometime in the 60s my grandpa dropped the gun while jumping a fence on a coon hunt. The buttstock was shattered and my grandpa lost his lower left arm. I would like to replace the broken stock but am not sure if there was a model number or not.

thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Iver Johnson shotgun question

Iver Johnson was a popular brand name around the turn of the century to around World War I. They were the standard for single shot shotguns. I would guess It went out of business around world war II. I think they started marketing them again in the 1970's for a short period of time.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

I have one in the gun case. It is a single shot 20 ga, best I can remember we dated it to the 1920's.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:14 AM

It can be referred to as a Champion Model 36 introduced in 1909. The 12 ga was discontinued in 1957, all over gauges were discountinued in 1941.