Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 L.R. in a .22 W.M.R.?

Old 01-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default .22 L.R. in a .22 W.M.R.?

I have a .22 WMR revolver and a ton of .22 L.R. ammo. The L.R. ammo chambers just fine in the cylinder. Are there any issues of using regular .22 ammo in a .22 WMR?

Thanks in advance....
Old 01-23-2005, 11:07 AM

Default RE: .22 L.R. in a .22 W.M.R.?

As kids we used to shoot the .22 LR through a .22 WMR. Only thing is they cracked the cases. Can't remember if there was a change in accuracy or not. Probably can be done, but I wouldn't try it again.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:37 PM

22LR & 22mag are NOT interchangeable. It is not recommended to shoot 22LR in a
magnum chamber/cylinder.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Virginia 7,

How about elaborating on your reply? I know that Ruger used to have a convertible single action revolver that had cylinders for 22 lr and 22 wmr. They obviously used the same barrel.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can't tell you the technical reason but you should never fire 22 RF in a 22WMR the barrels are the same but the chambers are not. Thats the reaso the ruger and others have seperate cylinders for the two.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve the dimensions of the cases are different.No you shouldn't shoot 22LR in a 22WMR cylinder.Chances are it wouldn't hurt anything but it's not safe.Actually the bullet dimensions are a thousandths or two different.I had extra 22 LR cylinders reamed out to a 22WMR for a S&W M17 and a S&W M 63.They work well. I don't think there is enough difference in the bullets diameter in a 22WMR and the barrel for a 22LR to cause a problem.Ruger will refit a cylinder at a reasonable charge if you lost or have a damaged cylinder. I know you've heard many times. Only shoot the cartridge the gun was designed to shoot.It's not worth taking a chance.One mistake can cause you allot of pain or possibly death.Like already mentioned. If you shoot a 22 LR in the 22WMR the cases split. That should tell you right there something isn't right.For your own good and safety Please don't do it.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK, I'm going to take everyone's advice and stick to .22 WMR ammo. Thanks for replying.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Steve that's a smart move. You didn't say what gun you have. If it's a Ruger send it back to them and have them fit a 22 LR cylinder to it.It will cost allot less then shooting the 22 WMR's in a long run.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-23-2005, 07:32 PM
DM

22 Win. mag. bbls are .224", and most 22lr bbls. are closer .222". For me 22lr's have always shot better in 22lr bbls., than 22 Win. mag. bbls, but i was always looking for the "best" accuracy, not one minute of rabbit accuracy... :&gt))

Anyway, there has been several kinds of adapters made over the years to allow you to shoot 22lr's in s 22 Win. mag. chambers...

Drilling Man
Old 01-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The difference between the two is the diameter of the case. The .22LR's case is the same diameter as the bullet and the bullets have a rebated base to fit inside the case (pull a .22LR bullet and you'll see what I mean). The .22WMR's case is larger in diameter than the bullet and the bullet is not rebated, so it seats inside the case like a normal pistol cartridge and has a distinct mouth. Since the bullet diameters are the same (within a couple thousandths of an inch), this makes the WMR case larger in diameter than the LR case. This would allow the LR case to sit in the chamber canted to the bottom side because of the extra space, and also allow the very thin walls to blow out when they try to fireform to the larger WMR chamber resulting in gas leaks.

That is why it's not a good idea to load LR's in a WMR chamber. On a postive note, it is not possible to chamber a 22 WMR in a LR chamber at all. It simply won't fit.

.22 Long Rifle:

.22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire:

Note the differences in the cases, specifically at the mouths.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.