Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

energy??

Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 AM

Default energy??

What would a 12 guage 1 ounce slug going 969 ft/s with 1138 lb/ft of energy be able to go through do you think? as far as animals, boards, cement blocks or anything, i'm just trying to figure out this lb/ft thing.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Default RE: energy??

Penetration is not the same thing as energy. Not really able to make a direct comparison.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:36 AM

could you explain the two to me?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:41 AM

How much damage with this slug with this velocity and energy do to a deer?
Old 01-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never lived or hunted in a shotgun zone. They are legal but everyone uses rifles because shots are often 200 yards + Prairie deer. However from readin on these sites, I am sure you are looking at a complete pass through out to about 100 yards on a deer. Now someone who has used them may prove me wrong.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM

-
Old 01-24-2005, 06:03 AM

Energy is a product of projectile weight and velocity. Penetration depends upon the sectional density and hardness of the projectile, along with the impact velocity.
As an example, a hardcast handgun bullet impacting at 1100 to 1200 FPS will often out penetrate a softpoint rifle bullet impacting at a much higher velocity. The rifle bullet has a much higher energy level than the handgun bullet. All things being equal, a solid bullet will out penetrate an expanding bullet, even if the bullet diameter, weight, and impact velocity are the same.
Never hunted with shotgun slugs, but I do know the Foster type slugs are pretty soft lead, and will expand to a degree. I would guess that the harder slugs, like the Breneke, or some of the saboted slugs would tend to out penetrate the softer Foster. With a shotgun, I would take penetration over expansion. I DO hunt with cast bullets, and round balls. My cast bullets don't expand, but they are usually of at least .430 diameter. Animals die very quickly with a hole this size in the right place. I imagine they will die quickly with a .720 diameter hole as well.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I did a lot of shooting to see what I could shoot though.

The shot gun did very well on cars the 12 gage shot strate though the car door and out the outher door.the 44 and 45 would only shot trough 1 door part time.The 357 and 41 would go though the door every shot but would not go though 2nd door.

The shot gun allso shot WAY in o a v8 ford block.

I have only killed 5 deer with the shot gun every one was full pass though.

All bulets that where used full copper coated.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

How much damage with this slug with this velocity and energy do to a deer?
It would completely penetrate the deer. Might not cause alot of hydrostatic shock. But what a 12ga has going for it is diameter. So it would cause a big hole around .6".

Energy and penetration does go hand in hand, if you keep all things static except one. If you had a infinately hard bullet, that deformes 0, and the medium struck is static and stays the same each time shot, then yes energy goes hand in hand with penetration. But then you got to consider momentum. Or moment of the object. A 200gr bullet with the same energy as a 25gr bullet with velocity varying, will not penetrate the exact same.

The problem is each bullet deforms (most of purpose) differently, including different slugs. There are different hardness of the lead, and bonding of the material. So its hard to understand you question. As far as damage, there are different things that cause trauma. Hydrostatic shock, (more speed, more shock), bullet diameter or cutting surface (bigger hole bigger bullet).