Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

3in or 3 1/2in

Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 3in or 3 1/2in

Nomercy have you ever compared a 3.5" over your 2.75", or just speaking opinion? And don't tell me you knock down every waterfowl you put a bead on either
With the right shooters and the right shells, 2-3/4" shotshells can be very effective on geese.A group of shooters from our club, including two very good skeet shooters, went on a hunt at a lodge belonging to one of our club members.The two skeet shooters used their over and under skeet guns shooting 2-3/4" bismuth loads and they killed more geese than the other hunters that used their 3" and 3-1/2" semi auto's shooting steel shot.The denser bismuth shot allowed them to use smaller shot which increased the density of their patterns and also provided better penetration since the pellets weighed the same but were smaller in diameter.Their superior shooting skills also allowed them to kill more geese even though they only had two shots in their guns.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 AM

MAYBE you'd at least WANT the extra umph and shot count, but I don't believe anyone in the world NEEDS it for typical shotgun hunting.

Yes, you do get more shot with the 3.5", this means either a bigger spread or more dense pattern.

No, I don't honestly believe that the increased shot is worth the increased recoil, weight, and cost of the 3.5" ammo or guns. I've never felt like I "NEEDED" a 3" gun, let alone needing a 3.5" gun.

Yes, you get more power with the 3.5", theoretically that means you can reach out farther to kill the same bird.
I have no idea where you're getting these facts but about 1/2 of what you have here is not true...

extra "UMPH" what is this?... if you're talking speed your sorely mistaken... the 3½" are loaded slower than the 2¾" and 3" due to the heavier shot load...

bigger spread?... any full choke will put the same percentage of pellets in the same space at the same range irregardless of shot count...

the 3½ was brought out for 2 specific reasons, 1. to allow a heavier shot load for waterfowlers shooting steel... 2. for turkey hunters to carry a heavier shot load... but even that's been proven to be erred thinking, because a lighter faster load kills better at the normal turkey hunting ranges...

"more power with the 3.5", theoretically " must be your theory, and totally unfounded... a denser pattern at lower speeds is all you're getting with a 3½...

if you're going with the Gold, do yourself a favor and get the 3" if you feel you really need a 3½ go to a 10ga and then you'll have a workhorse...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:42 AM
bigcountry

With the right shooters and the right shells, 2-3/4" shotshells can be very effective on geese.A group of shooters from our club, including two very good skeet shooters, went on a hunt at a lodge belonging to one of our club members.The two skeet shooters used their over and under skeet guns shooting 2-3/4" bismuth loads and they killed more geese than the other hunters that used their 3" and 3-1/2" semi auto's shooting steel shot.The denser bismuth shot allowed them to use smaller shot which increased the density of their patterns and also provided better penetration since the pellets weighed the same but were smaller in diameter.Their superior shooting skills also allowed them to kill more geese even though they only had two shots in their guns.
Well, crap stubble, you can say that about anything in life can't ya??????

Yea, with a professional driver driving a ford lightning, he could beat me with a the new dodge with alot more power.

Your comparing high dollar bismuth, to stell shot????

Of course it can, but as much duck I go for, I just can't afford bismuth or heavishot.

I did a test thats in the waterfowl forum. Two year ago, I shot #5 Lead 2 3/4" remington high brass at a piece of partical board 40 yards away. The lead sometimes penetrated, and dozens of shot was buried in the partical board. I then took 3" magnum #3 High velocity federal steel shot, and I only found a few shot buried and none penetrated the board.

The question on the board is would a 3.5" be benefitial? I made a case and told of my experience. Thats all someone on the board can do. Instead of trying "top" a post, just tell the experience you had and be done with .

Old 01-27-2005, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

My point was simply that you don't need to have a 3-1/2" gun to hunt geese successfully.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:21 AM
bigcountry

Hey, if I was going to pay someone to hunt geese, I wouldn't mind buying heavi, bismuth, or tungsten cause its not a every week thing. But since we go like twice a week in MD, just wouldn't make sense.

I know as a avid fowler, I need all the help I can get.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:35 AM

I own 3 Browning Gold shotguns and they are all EXCELLENT shooters. With the gas operated semi-auto, you can't tell the difference between the 3's and 3.5's as far as recoil goes. If you want to get a good all around chambering for anything from Doves to Big Canada Geese and Turkey's, I would suggest the 3.5". You can shoot any length shell you want, and you can shoot a combination of 3.5's, 3's and 2.75's if you would want to. Mine will handle them all flawlessly. Plus, this would be better for re-sale value, if you ever needed to get rid of it! The 10 gauge is noticeably heavier and is capable of only handling 3.5" loads, therefor making it useless on anything except Waterfowl and Turkey's. IMO the 3.5 12 gauge is a better choice if you can only afford to buy 1 gun.