Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BigBulls Help I need some info about pillar bedding?

Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BigBulls Help I need some info about pillar bedding?

I was reading an older article by Jim Carmicle in Outdoor Life. He was teaching how to do it yourself pillar bedding. It got me thinking I am handy with tools, I work construction building houses. So why can't I piller bed my own gun. In Jims article they were selling a do it yourself kit, but you had to buy a new laminate stock. My question is this, my gun is a left hand Rem 700 LSS so I don't think I would need to buy a new stock? So how and where do I begin. I am very serious about this, I think that it would be a lot of fun. And hopefully make my gun more accurate. I would want to bed the entire action right? And I would like to add a bigger more thick recoil lug (I think thats what its called) and a new trigger. Any info you can give me would be great. Am I in over my head for a do it yourself project? Thanks Jason
Old 01-22-2005, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BigBulls Help I need some info about pillar bedding?

Am I in over my head for a do it yourself project?
Probably.

Pillar bedding is not that dificult if you have the necessary tools and equipment. A mill is extremely helpful. I would highly suggest you let someone with the knowhow and equipment to do it properly. I wouldn't attempt it with out a mill. It just makes it so much more precise and so much easier to do it correctly.

More poeple get into trouble with these "do it yourself" articles in magazines and either completely mess something up to where they have to buy a new replacement part(s) or figure out they can't do it and end up costing them two or three times as much money when it's all done.

And I would like to add a bigger more thick recoil lug (I think thats what its called) and a new trigger.
For this you will definetly need to take it to a gunsmith. The barrel will have to be removed from the receiver and the torque shoulder must be machined back in order to fit the larger recoil lug. If you want the lettering on the barrel to be back where it is suppose to be he will have to machine back the breech of the barrel and rechamber your rifle to get headspace.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can use some kind of steel bed (devcon) and make pillars this way. Drill out the action screw holes to about 1/2 inch. get some 20 mill PVC tape and wrap your screws. Fill all holes with clay that you don't want any bedding compound to get into including the inletting for the bottom metal. Wax or spray with a release agent the screws and receiver and any matal part that will contact the bedding compound.

Put the screws into the holes and fill with the steel bedding compound from the top and bottom making sure that there are no air bubbles and use enough so that there is more than you need filling the holes. Drop in the receiver and screw inthe screws. Clamp the receiver to the stock wipe off any excess that is oozing out onto the bottom metal inletting and let dry over night. Remove the screws and scrape away any excess bedding compound.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Score high gunsmithing on the web at( http://www.scorehi.com)
I pillar bedded my rifle using their product and guide.The deluxe Kit model
comes with everything needed to properly pillar bed a Remington 700 rifle.
Plus very easy to follow step by step instructions on a CD-rom disk.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

bigbulls after giving this a lot of thougth and talking to others I realy want to do it. So what tools are ncessary to compleate this project? I don't own a mill myself but I do have access to one that I can use any time I want. Also what do you use the mill for in pillar bedding? Sorry I have left you hanging for so long. I just wanted to think it over, but it was rude of me to not thank you sooner for responding. Thanks Jason