Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Old 01-26-2005, 01:35 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Thoughts on "real" knockdown power

Quote"In the past 5-10 years I've sold such things as 338 win mags, 338 ultra mags, 300 weatherby mags, 300 ultra mags to people who ONLY hunt deer and ONLY hunt in the East. It's crazy! A real phenomenon."

I don't know broey1, it seems like a slam to me. As soon as someone goes elk hunting, even from the east, all the sudden they got a chip on thier shoulder and act like the Eastern WT is below them. I have hunted bou, I have hunted moose. I have hunted pigs. And the hardest "nice" animal I have found has been Eastern whitetails. My guides in Newfoundland has this chip on thier shoulder. One came down here to hunt with another guy I know. He tried to stomp thru the woods like he was moose or caribou hunting. I explained, all they will get like that is seeing the deer flag while bounding away in the air. But while in Port au Chow, he was dogging American hunters all the time. Nothing straight to the point, but little jabs. Well, he never did get his deer. Didn't figure he would.

I hear alot from Western Hunters, (I used to spend alot of time in CO, UT and WY working) talk about Easterners packing too much heat. Thats probably true. Cause anything over 100gr bullet, and 2700fps, you are at a significant advantage to the animal. Anything over that, and its just fun.

I use a 308win and slug gun for most firearm deer. I have RUM's, and STW, but only used once before a moose hunt to get some good luck blood on the gun.

I think that notion that most easterns pack too much heat is very inflated.