Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

weatherby

Old 01-16-2005, 08:48 AM

Default weatherby

What does everyone think about the weatherby vangaurd? I had never heard of this gun maker or model until the other day when i was looking at rifles at scheels, they had a whole section of them. They were lower in price than most of the other rifles, but does this lower cost result a lack of quality?
Old 01-16-2005, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: weatherby

Weatherby is one of the top 10 gun makers and been around for decades. But a vanguard is not exactly a "Weatherby. For the money, you can't beat it. Weatherby puts thier name on the gun from Howa.

Now Weatherby accumarks on the other hand is a very expensive gun. And in my opinon a very well built gun. But you pay a huge premium for it.

Old 01-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Vanguard,for the money it's hard to beat...
Old 01-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

The vanguard is a well made rifle that offers a great value for the money,unlike the mark V which is grossly overpriced.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Never heard of Weatherby? QT Weatherby is THE quintessential American arms builder. No one else did more for the modern "magnum movement" than did Roy Weatherby before his death in 88. Check out their website www.weatherby.com and scan thru the "history" segment. You are bound to have seen, heard of or used a Weatherby product at some point and didn't realize it or don't remember.

Mr. Roy must be rolling over in his grave.
RA
Old 01-16-2005, 08:59 PM

I recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 Wby Magnum and love it. I think it is a better designed and manufactured gun than my Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Remington Magnum, despite costing several hundred dollars less than the Remington. The Weatherby Vanguard is not just a great rifle for the money, it is a great rifle period. This is just my opinion, but given the precipitous decline of the dollar against the yen, Weatherby might not be able to continue to offer the Vanguard at its current low price indefinitely, so it might be wise to buy now before prices go up.

StubbbleJumper, Why do you think the Mark V is overrated? The one problem with the Vanguard is that it is not offered in Weatherby Magnum calibers greater than .300 and I had been thinking that if I ever got to go to Africa for big game hunting I would want to purchase an Accumark in .378 Weatherby Magnum. Have you had a bad experience with a Mark V or just feel that what you get just does not justify the price?

Californiadoctor

Californiadoctor
Old 01-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

StubbbleJumper, Why do you think the Mark V is overrated
Because I have owned two mark V's and fired several others and despite a great deal of load development they were no more accurate than guns costing half the price.They did make the 1-1/2" guarantee but Tikka rifles costing half as much are required to shoot 1" groups before leaving the factory.You simply don't get much extra value for the extra price that you pay for the mark V.I sold both of mine and for not a great deal more money,I had custom rifles built on 700 actions that shoot groups 1/2 the size of what my mark V's did.I don't mind paying extra money if I feel that I am getting extra value for that money.
If I was going to Africa ,I would have a 375ultramag built by a quality gunbuilder and the result would be better components assembled to closer tolerances for not a whole lot of difference in price.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Weatherby Vanguard is a solid rifle. I own Weatherby Mark V rifles and they all shoot well under .75" groups at 100 yds. I have one that shoots under .50" at 100 yds. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I own Weatherby Mark V rifles and they all shoot well under .75" groups at 100 yds. I have one that shoots under .50" at 100 yds. Good luck.
\

Consider yourself one of the lucky ones as my own mark V's would not consistantly shoot under 1".However all of my 700's would shoot 1" or better with proper loads and my customs all average around 1/2".
Old 01-17-2005, 07:36 AM
DM

There's no question in my mind the Mark V is over priced!!!

They are to guns what John Deere is to tractors, and Harley is to motorcycles!!! "Very good advertiseing", average quality, and way over priced!!!

Over the years i've owned numerous Weatherbys, i now own (3) John Deere's, and i've owned about a half dozen Harleys, so i speak from experence!!

Drilling Man

Quick Reply: weatherby

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.