Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New 30-30

Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New 30-30

ORIGINAL: Bonedoc
To the guy with the large scope on the 30-30....I'm more worried about the pink carpet in his house. . Seriously though...where do you put your face while shooting that thing. Seems like you could have only had an inch or two of eye relief. Good thing you took the scope off.
LOL!!!! Pink carpet? [&:] No, no, no, no.... It's not really pink. It's the flash from the camera. Trust me.... Besides the carpet was a freebie from my sister and bro-in-law. My wife wanted it, even though I don't care for the color of the carpet.

Anyway, here is my Marlin 30AS as it looks right now, with plain old open sights. It's a lot better, more lightweight, more manuverable, and just looks classic:

Butch A.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:35 PM

Man that is one sweet plain-jane levergun, just the way I like em I wish I had one like that, thats just classic................
But, I do have a Winchester 94 .30-30 made in '75, does that count?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 PM

Lyman makes a peep for that Marlin, the model 66LA, sells for about $80 on their website. E-bay also has them for a little less. It is a receiver mounted micrometer style for windage and elevation adjustments. I like it on my 336C because it is just there when I shoulder the rifle. Easy to acquire the target with the rear peep right at the eye and the hooded front site.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Georgian
Man that is one sweet plain-jane levergun, just the way I like em I wish I had one like that, thats just classic................
But, I do have a Winchester 94 .30-30 made in '75, does that count?
Sure does! Thanks for the reply about my Marlin 30AS. She really is a sweet shooter. When that buddy at work let me borrow the 30-30 two seasons ago to try out at the range -- after the first few shots, I just fell in love with it. [8D] It was all over from that moment on. The next day at work, I told him, "It's mine... name the price!". So, I snagged it for $250 complete with the monster Simmons scope, locking case, etc...

The last time I hunted with the 30-30, I felt like I was part of a long generation of hunters, slowly walking through the thick woods and cedars in Virginia. It made me think back like, "how many others before me have walked through the woods with a 30-30". Timeless and classic is right!

Butch A.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know how you feel packing the old lever guns. For years all I used was a Model 94 30-30 and a Marlin of the same caliber. I had no trouble taking deer, elk, moose and black bear with them. Somewhere along the line I decided I had to step up to something newer and bigger and better. I am sure though that I would do just as well if I sold all the other stuff and bought a new Marlin 30-30. I do prefer the Marlin to the winchester for reliability and accuracy although to 150 yards there is not a lot of difference.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only rifle I have for deer is my Winchester 94.I've never seen a need to step up.But now my grandson has his eye on it,I may be stepping up weather I want to or not.