Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Margin for error. ?????

Old 01-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Margin for error. ?????

This saying has got to go, theres no such thing as margin for error. Plain and simple if you miss the vitals no matter what caliber you use that deer aint going down, be prepared for a long tracking job. Another tired saying " good brush gun" no such thing.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Margin for error. ?????

i agree wiht margin for error but i disagree with good brush gun. there is such a thing.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Margin of error is the little extra to reach the vitals if you have to punch thru more than a broad side shot or needs to break a shoulder and still exit or if you are slightly off mark and only hit the back of 1 lung. High shock small diamiter and penatration cal some times lack it .
I agree that no bullet will bust brush and still get to the target ,not even a 12 gau slug will do it .
IMO a brush gun is a shorter barreled quick handeling rifle not a brush buster
Old 01-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree on both counts. A poor hit with any caliber has the same result. There can be a margin of power but you still have to put the bullet in a good spot. Yes Brush will deflect and bullet of any speed or weight.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:44 PM
bigcountry

You know that reminds me of something. The first day of archery here in MD, my buddy shot too far at this 4 pt and it hit a little branch and nailed him in the arse. Where the tail it. Don't know how he managed to hit it. Anyway we were both hunting pretty close and I saw it hit. It parallized that deer's back hind leg. So all it could do is throw itself up with one back leg and pull itself. It came by me a few min later. And I put a arrow thru its lungs at 30. But I have yet to see such a ugly shot that was so effective.

Old 01-12-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

You know that reminds me of something. The first day of archery here in MD, my buddy shot too far at this 4 pt and it hit a little branch and nailed him in the arse. Where the tail it. Don't know how he managed to hit it. Anyway we were both hunting pretty close and I saw it hit. It parallized that deer's back hind leg. So all it could do is throw itself up with one back leg and pull itself. It came by me a few min later. And I put a arrow thru its lungs at 30. But I have yet to see such a ugly shot that was so effective.
Not so , my friend also hit a buck in the rear hind it was a hip shot and the deer could barely and I mean barely walk, we waited till morning and found it not far at all poor thing was still alive but couldnt get up and place another shot to finish him. This friend has always been this lucky, no matter if it's a bad shot we find his deer, I've made some pretty good shots in my opinion with my bow and have lost a couple of deer. Go figure.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the saying margin for error in explaining my reasons for using lungshots instead of headshots.Since the lung area is a much larger target it gives me a greater margin for error.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

I can't say I'm proud of this but I shot my first deer at about 14 yrs of age in Hawaii. Thick bushy landscape full of mesquite trees and small area, you often see deer at less than 20 yards sprinting thru trees. 3 bucks was running away thru the trees, I shot the last one, clipped his spinal cord right above hind legs. Friend went and finished him right after. Funny, the only other deer shot there, I hit him in the neck jumping over a hill. Spine shot also. Dead before he hit the ground.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree Stubblejumper, there is a margin for error, with good shot placement! As you've said, there is a good margin for error with lung shots, and little or no margin for error with head and neck shots.
There are also good brush guns. Shorter barreled, with low magnification scopes, are good brush guns! There are NO "brush busters!" All calibers of bullets will be deflected by contact with brush!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:11 PM

-

Quick Reply: Margin for error. ?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.