Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Why a limited revolver selection?

Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Why a limited revolver selection?

There are tons of rifle makers and models out there, shotguns, semi auto pistols, but the revolver selection it quite limited comparatively speaking. Why? They are too simple, not enough of a draw. Not that the ones available aren't good, but with long guns you can drive yourself nuts deciding, but revolvers there's only a few choices.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why a limited revolver selection?

It is probably market driven, supply and demand.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:37 PM

yep ng hit it right on the head. Simple sales and market forces. For most handgun use (conceal carry, personal defense) the majority of American's think they must have 15 rounds of lead or they aren't gonna be safe.

First, if you empty that much foder into the air you better not be worried about what the attacker is doing. You better be worried about what your local DA is going to do too you when he hauls you into court for your actions. There aren't 1 criminals in 1,000 that isn't going to high tail it at the sight of a gun or the first shot fired. Shootouts simply aren't going to happen. It's a myth that gunmakers have continued to feed buyers for more sales.

A simple small frame, hammerless 5 shot revolver is MUCH easier to carry and conceal than even so called "small framed" autos. The only easily concealable (spelled, dropped into your front pocket) is a micro auto like a 32 or 380. But they dont carry enough power if you ask me. I also don't recommend autos for carry unless someone REGULARLY (monthly if not weekly) practices using their gun. Autos are hard enough to use under normal conditions. When you are being attacked, the adrenalin is flowing and your heart is in your throat then you don't need to worry about safetys, mag releases etc... More than once law enforcement officer has been killed because he accidentally hit his mag release during a shootout. And those are regularly trained professionals. (Happened in Memphis in 03 as a matter of fact!)

Don't get me wrong, if I were in military or law enforcement yeah I would be ALL for a high cap auto. I just use the mag release story as an example and warning. But for personal carry I can't see anything more necessary than a standard cap 1911 style 45 if you MUST go with an auto. Or a properly packed .38+P or .357 Mag wheel gun. I carry a S&W Airweight full of MagSafe without fear.

Hunting market wise, its even a smaller selection. 99% of hunting handguns sold are either TC Contender, Ruger Redhawks or specialty guns like BFRs and 500S&Ws.

Good luck,
RA
Old 01-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah and the fact that target shooters aren't a big fan of wheel guns doesn't help either, Although if I remember correctly the last guy to win the nation IPSC (sp?) did it with a S&W revolver... It takes a lot of modification to get a super-accurate revolver.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Revolvers are still popular, but most must be ordered from catalogs. Cabela's and Bass Pro have a very good selection. The semiautos are hot right now. All the action movies are using semi's and full autos. Seems this spawns the purchasing of autos. When Dirty Harry came out, the S&W 44 mag. was the pistol to own. A waiting list and increased price soon followed. Check with your local gun shop if a revolver is your preference. There are quite a few quality hand guns available in just about any caliber you choose.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 PM

Red Allison said it better than I've ever heard said!
Old 01-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

More than once law enforcement officer has been killed because he accidentally hit his mag release during a shootout. And those are regularly trained professionals
I've seen this happen more than once during IPSC matches as well- its funny when it happens there though.

t takes a lot of modification to get a super-accurate revolver.
Not really.... It takes a lot more to accurize a semiauto, wheelguns tend to be much more accurate right out of the box. Its the whole magazine capacity issue that limits their use in competion. Colt and S&W .38 specials used to be the preferred bullseye pistols at one time, The only thing they give up to a highly tuned and fitted semiauto is the lack of fast reloads during rapid fire stages of bullseye matches.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Typical Buck

I'll agree with RA, but I think sniper hit it right on the head. What the public sees on TV and in the movies are what drives the market. When was the last time you actually saw a wheelgun in a movie or on a TV show? There may still be a few of them on the silver screen, but not many at all. As for them being "limited"? I personally don't think so. Gunshops around here still carry a good selection of them from Smith, Ruger and Taurus.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm in the market for a hunting revolver and pretty much my choices are a SBH, SRH, raging bull, and a 629. Not that these are bad choices, but a little more selection would be nice.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 AM

One of the upsides to this supply/demand equation is that used revolvers can be found at very good prices.

Quick Reply: Why a limited revolver selection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.