Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good Trap Gun??

Old 01-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good Trap Gun??

If the 870 fits you well, use it. Shoot it a lot and make it your friend.

At 16 yards use a modified or improved modified choke. If you are good with either, move up to a full choke- its harder to hit birds with a full and you can expect to lose 2 birds every round until you get better, but the extra skill you develop will pay off if you ever shoot handicap trap, or shoot in money games.

The only trap games where an O/U will give you an edge is in 'miss and out' type money shoots or international trap. both because you will set up one tube with a full choke for longer shots, and the second instance because of a much faster follow up shot- in international trap you get 2 shots per bird.

Other than in the instances above, you can't buy more broken birds with a more expensive gun. Once you start breaking 25 straight or 50 straight on a regular basis, you might be in a better position to determine what you need in a high end trap gun and where to spend your money to get the best advantage out of it. I can't count the times when I was on the line with either an 870 Wingmaster or Browning BPS and broke 25 straight while people on the same line with $5000-$10,000 shotguns were missing 1 or 2.

I'm not knocking O/Us or single barrel tap guns- they are nice and have other advantages that ar eless apparant- they are esier and less fatiguing to hold onto while on the line, there is less fumbling around with loading and unloading (I despise shooting autoloaders unless they have a shell catcher) and they are better balanced and heavier which helps in maintaining a good swing. I've used a SKB O/U for a few years for league trap, and wouldn't mind a new Browning Citori, but I really don't need one.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you don't reload already, spend the money on a MEC reloader, a 8lb keg of powder, a couple hundred lbs of # 7 1/2 shot and a thousand AA hulls. If you are going to shoot alot, you will save money buy loading your own high quality loads.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Consider the Beretta 686 White Onyx O/U - about $1500...same mechanism as their most expensive O/U guns but without all the fancy engraving, etc. While you might not care for Browning, consider their newest model the Cynergy...it's completely different then most O/U. You can even get it with a composite stock/forearm.