Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

17 HMR or 22 Mag?

Old 01-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 17 HMR or 22 Mag?

heres a test on penetration between a .17hmr and a .22 long rifle. the .22 long rifle had more penetration than the 17 , when comparing the best of both, but more or less they are about the same.

http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=fa4f25480558d7c13dcc7ec3aa396642& postid=3020251
Old 01-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

I have read that the .17 is rated for game that weighs 2 1/2 pounds or less. I have also read guys having to shoot a coon 4 times with the 17 before dropping them. Thats what I've read, anyhow
the 17hmr can take yotes cleanly wtiha proper placed shot and at an aproraite distance.

zrexpilot
but more or less they are about the same.
maybe in penitration but when you take them out into teh feidl the 17hmr is explosive on game and ther is no compairion what so ever.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .17 is a fad. it will disapear. I would never suggest taking yotes with a .17, If you hit a yote in the vitals it will run off to die a slow death, guaranteed. A.22 mag's a better choice, but I would still not reccomend it for yotes either. A dog is one tough animal, they can take much bigger bullets and still run off.
The .17 is for rabbitts at a 100 yds, thats it. it will probably be outlawed for predator hunting, mark my words.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

The 17 will fade away. It lacks penitratoin. I do think it would be good for coon hunting at night with dogs in the river bottoms where you have VERY tall trees. Allso may be good for squirrels.

For yotes the 22mag would be a better choice.

I do not think the 17 will get outlawed, for most people do not even pick up the ypte they shoot [:@]
I beleave this should go under the want not waste not LAW and they should get a ticket.Yotes as like all fured animals are a resource that should get used not just killed and left to lay.