Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

BROWNING B.O.S.S

Old 01-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Default BROWNING B.O.S.S

IS the BROWNING BOSS worth the money. What dose it do couldn't find info on web sight.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BROWNING B.O.S.S

it reduces the recoil and the sound. i don't think it is as accurate with the boss. it isn't worth the money to me.
Old 01-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Typical Buck

actualy it increases sound but reduces recoil and it allows you to fine tune your gun to your loads. It makes shooting more enjoyable if your recoil shy.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

actualy it increases sound but reduces recoil
Depends on if you get the ported BOSS or the nonported BOSS.

As a bullet travels down the barrel the barrel vibrates and "whips" back and forth. A load is most accurate and consistant if the bullet can leave the muzzle as the barrel is at its stopping point before it whips back the other way. At this point the barrel is stationary so the bullet leaves the muzzle "clean" and the barrel does not "throw" the bullet like it does when the barrel is in motion.

As you screw or unscrew the boss device on the barrel it lengthens or shortens the barrel thus changing the harmonics of the barrel and the rate at which the barrel vibrates and "whips" back and forth. By adjusting the BOSS you are looking for that "sweet spot" when the barrel is at its stopping point in its vibrating.

It is not intended to magically make your loads shoot perfectly right out of the box. You will have to put in the time at the range shooting and adjusting to find the most accurate spot for the BOSS to be in. It may only take a box or two or it could take many boxes of ammo.

Having said all of that it does work if you put in the effort. Many people see very excelent results with the BOSS system.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

My own experiences with a BOSS equiped rifle were that although I could tune the gun to a particular load,I could obtain just as much accuracy with proper load development and no BOSS.The regular BOSS with the brake does reduce recoil but it increases noise so much that a single shot without hearing protection can cause your ears to ring for several hours and can result in permanent damage to your hearing.The BOSS equipped rifles also come equipped with shorter barrel to compensate for the length of the BOSS so BOSS equiped rifles produce less velocity.The BOSS on my own rifle came loose several times resulting in a changing point of impact.I will never own another BOSS.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

At one time Browning and Winchester had a contest using either stock rifle with the BOSS System. The guy who won the contest used Browning A-Bolt II Varmint Rifle in .223 Rem., and obtained .25" 3 or 5 shot groups (don't remember) at 100m with his handloads and the BOSS System. The BOSS System sounds advantageous to me. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:08 PM

I had a rifle with the BOSS system and found that it was just another 'variable' in finding the right load. I got a non-ported adapter (CR - Conventional recoil) for hunting and it seemed to help with the muzzle blast.

Regards,

GS
Old 01-08-2005, 12:18 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

My Model 70 .300 mag BOSS CR shoots MOA out to 500 yds, and my buddy's M70 .308 BOSS shoots even better than that. A whole lot cheaper than buying a custom barrel.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

A whole lot cheaper than buying a custom barrel.
But not necessarily any better than proper load development.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

A whole lot cheaper than buying a custom barrel.
But not necessarily any better than proper load development.
But that, in turn, is only an alternative to those that handload.

Quick Reply: BROWNING B.O.S.S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.