Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finding a New Caliber

Old 01-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finding a New Caliber

Hi All,

Folks here are always talking about which caliber should I buy etc... I know for handguns you can in many cases try before you buy. Can you do the same with rifles? What if you buy an a$$ kicker of a rifle that you can't shoot?

Basically I would like to jump into a larger gun mostly just for the heck of it but I also don't want to buy something that I am afraid of.

Last time I was at the range, about 3 months ago, there was this very large dude there. He must have been about 6'2", 200lbs mostly muscle and he was shooting a 378 weatherby and he was flinching so bad I could see him doing it. So of course his shots were all over the paper.

How does one avoid this?

Tom
Old 01-04-2005, 01:18 PM

Default RE: Finding a New Caliber

I was in the same predicament. There are no places that rent rifles, at least not around me. I found info on recoil and used recoil simulator/calculator programs to guesstimate. I talked to family and friends and shot a few rifles in different calibers to get the feeling for it as well, there simply is no substitute for that hands-on.
I will also say that caliber choice is mostly dictated by use, as certain calibers are just meant to be used on certain size game, as an example.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most every one knows someone, be it family or friend, that has a rifle or three that are larger and kick harder than what they are currently shooting. I suggest finding a few of these people and asking them if you can take their rifle to the range before you buy a new one.

BTW, what are you shooting now that you want to move up from?

Also you can go to Chuck Hawks rifle recoil table and get a comparison of the recoil numbers associated with different cartridges. This will give you an idea of what you'd be looking at.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigBulls,

I am currently shooting a heavy barreled M70 in .308 so she doesn't kick hardly at all.

As for the gun I want to get. I want to get the biggest gun that shoots the flattest that I can tolerate shooting an entire box through. Or there abouts. With my .308 I can shoot upto 4 or 5 boxes in one day and feel no sorness the next day.

The problem with the recoil guides is you don't get the touchy feely thing. I am not sure of this but I imagin different rifles kick different even with around even weights.

Speedgator,

Any chance you are a Florida Gator or a fan?

Tom
Old 01-04-2005, 02:32 PM

Went to UF, follow them avidly.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're right it doesn't give you the hands on feel but it does give you a reference to start with.

I am not sure of this but I imagin different rifles kick different even with around even weights.
Yes they will. 90% of it has to do with how the stock fits you. Assuming the same rifle but different cartridges you can at least get an idea of recoil numbers. Chuck hawks recoil table simply takes into account actual weights and velocities rather than accounting for the subjective "feel" of different stock designs and shooters build, "softness", etc.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Whatever caliber you go with put a good pad on it and practice with a "Past" shoulder pad would help control flinching. But, don't buy a heavier recoiling rifle just for the hell of it, let the game dictake what to use, and what you are comfortable shooting. If hunting deer or smaller game I would stick with the 308.