Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

browning or winchester? 300wsm

Old 12-29-2004, 08:21 PM

Default browning or winchester? 300wsm

i am currently going to buy either a browning or winchester stainless/synthetic in a 300wsm. does any one have any experience with these/ pros cons lets hear it all
Old 12-29-2004, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: browning or winchester? 300wsm

The Winchester has a longer magazine, so you can seat your bullet out further. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't even consider the Model 70 the Browning will easily outshoot it, is lighter, feeds the ammunition smoother and easier to handload for. You can seat the bullets at 2.860 OAL and not worry about putting bullet near lands makes no difference with that gun. If you want load information PM me . BTW I have owned both rifles in SS
Old 12-30-2004, 06:48 AM
bigcountry

This one is real easy. Get the A-Bolt. I have zero trouble working up loads for a-bolts. I have to work pretty hard to get the 70 shooting and have to load the bullet way out usually. Note that the model 70 is my favorite action.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

It may not be within your means, but you might consider stepping up to the Kimber 8400, a higher quality rifle than either of the other two.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:32 AM

The design of the model 70 is classic but the execution these days is a bit questionable. The design of the a-bolt is a bit questionable in some circles but the execution is generally very good. In other words, you're less likely to have to do any extra work on the a-bolt to get it to shoot well. If you're fortunate enough to get an accurate model 70--out of the box or after some work--it will be a solid rifle. The question you have to ask yourself is, "Do I feel lucky?"

I'd go with the a-bolt.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoulder both rifles with your hunting gear on. Buy the one that fits and balances better for you. I personally have never had a model 70 feel right for me, but that strictly a personal thing. I have owned and liked several ABolts. Also the Abolt has a removable magazine.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:25 PM

Shoulder both. For me the A-Bolt in Classic Hunter with the Monte Carlo stock "fit" the best. .270wsm. One shot....One kill, the day after I bought it. 7-point whitetail.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:37 PM

A-Bolt all the way. I have one in a .270 Win and its awsome. I have the medallion and i get alot of good comments on it too. I love the Abolts removable magazine. You can pop it out of the gun while its still on the hinge and load / unload it and slide it back up.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:42 PM

I have a Model 70 SS in 300wsm and am well satisfied. Bought the gun 4 years ago and use it primarily for elk. I had a smith' adjust the trigger to 2.5#s and added a HS Precision stock (have a strong dislike for almost all factory synthetic stocks). It shoots 180gr Win Supreme Fail-safes an honest 1" and has never given me a moments problem. Kills elk too! I am sure if I had bought an A-bolt I'd have done the same things to the gun, with the same results in the end. IMO, both are good guns and neither equate to a custom gun, but then they don't cost as much.

Quick Reply: browning or winchester? 300wsm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.