Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hope to get my first gun on Thursday what are some needs to get?

Old 12-26-2004, 08:21 PM

Default Hope to get my first gun on Thursday what are some needs to get?

On Thursday or Friday I am going to go up to Gander Mtn. to get my first shotgun. I got a $250 gift card there so that is why I am going there. This will be my first gun that I have ever owned. What I am wondering is what are some must have items to get with it. I am getting the Reminton 870 12 ga. combo set.

Also I want to set up targets for practice. I think I am goin to get the paper ones and just set them up against some straw bails that we have in the barn. What I am wondering what are some of the best slugs to get for target practice? I know that can get expesive quick doing some target shooting.

I just want to make sure I do this right. And do not mess up something because of something little that I forgot.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hope to get my first gun on Thursday what are some needs to get?

If it is a smooth bore slug barrel ,I like K.O. slugs .
They shoot great for me ,and Gander mnt. had them for $1.79 a box ( I think) before our deer gun season.
P.S. I am sure you know this but , slugs will go thrue straw bales. Don't place the targets in front of anything.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: johnch

If it is a smooth bore slug barrel ,I like K.O. slugs .
They shoot great for me ,and Gander mnt. had them for $1.79 a box ( I think) before our deer gun season.
P.S. I am sure you know this but , slugs will go thrue straw bales. Don't place the targets in front of anything.
Thanks.

The bails are just there to hold up the targets. I have nothing for around a mile behind the bails and there is tree cover in back.
Old 12-27-2004, 08:35 AM

Congratulations on your first firearm! By all means, make sure that you purchase eye and ear protection and never shoot without it. Buy a cleaning kit as well, with plenty of extra patches. Include some oil and an extra bottle of solvent (Hoppe's No. 9 is good stuff, there's lots of others that work as well or maybe better.)

A good case is handy for transporting your firearm. A soft zippered case is usually adequate, but if you plan to fly with your weapon you will want to spend a lot more and get a good quality hard case.

You may discover recoil to be a distinctly unpleasant phenomenon. If you shoot enough, it is more than unpleasant, it can damage your soft tissues, and you may need surgery to repair your torn rotator cuff.[:@] A recoil pad on your shotgun will help, but I highly recommend that you buy a PAST recoil shield that straps on over your shoulder. This is anywhere from $20 to $30. They come in a variety of thicknesses, from the Field Grade (perfect for shotgunning and this is what I have) to really thick shields for shooting big bad boy calibers like .458 Win Mag from the bench. The Field Grade is fine for me to shoot .30-06 class rifles at the bench for 50 - 100 rounds without misery the next day.

And by the way, make sure that nobody will be caught unawares behind your barn if you are shooting slugs. This goes without saying, but everyone is going to say this anyway, so I figured I wouold too!

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:11 PM

i would buy as many differant slugs as you can and see wich ones shoot the best for you. i would practice with what you plan on hunting with.always remember to practice good safty and have fun! hope you enjoy your new shotgun
Old 12-27-2004, 04:44 PM

Congrats on the new gun purchase!!!

My first gun was a 870 3" mag express with walnut stocks. Never have shot slugs with it, but i have several friends with 870's 3 and 3 1/2" guns, some shoot smooth bore (pumpkin ) and one shoots full rifled cantilever barrel. It all depends on your preference. Full rifled should have better accuracy (and cost more), but remember your not going to get bolt action rifle like accuracy with either. I don't think that remington is offering the rifled barrel in thier combo either.

I agree with night hawk 223, get as many different types of slugs as you can get and try them all. Let the gun decide what it likes.

Also have some friends who have started going to 20 gauge for the hope of a flatter shot and less recoil (fast followup shots are the name of the game when driving deer)

Don't know your experience level, but be safe. It is the only way to be.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:04 PM

Thanks,

I did not think of get a little of everything, but now that you said that I can see how it would be a good thing.

Ear protection I will have to get and I have a good set of Oakleys that have a lens that I put in that will give me great defishion in light and contrast so I will wear those.