Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06

Old 12-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default 25-06

I am looking for a new rifle oes anybody have any opinions on the Ruger M77 Mark II standard in 25-06. Is the gun very picky on ammo or not.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25-06

Welcome to the forum LeftyBuckmaster, I don't have one of the Ruger M-77's MKII in 25-06.I have one of the old tang safety M-77V's in 25-06. It's unfired.I have some of the MKII's in other calibers.They all shoot well the ones I have shot.Some have never been taken out.My one in 7mm RM was disappointing when I fired the Federal Premium Ballistic Tips.3.5"-4" groups. I tried Remington CoreLokts and the group shrunk to a little over an inch.You might have to fire a few different brands until you find one it likes. If you handload you should be able to work up a extremely accurate load.You have your eyes set on a fine rifle.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Redawk it sounds like a good rifle and accurate with the right ammunition
Old 12-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a 25-06 in a Ruger #1 and it will drive tacks. You can put 3 shots on top of each other at 100 yards. We also have a M77 in .308 and it is extremely accurate gun as well.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

Thanks Redhawk it sounds like a good rifle and accurate with the right ammunition
LBM they are once you find what it likes.My hunting partner has the identical rifle.They aren't Federals he's shooting, actually they are hand loads another friend of his loaded up for him.His shoots the Ballistic Tips well.My rifle was brand new at the time. It's had several rounds through it since then.I'm going to try the Federal's again next time out and see if it's improved since the barrel has been broken in.I do hope it likes the BT's.Not to start another discussion about triggers. Mostly likely you'll need to get the Ruger's trigger lightened.They are heavy from Ruger in most cases. There is another topic about Ruger replacemnt triggers you might want to read.It was here the other day so it might be on page two or three by now of the Guns forum.I really think you'll be happy with a M-77.

Ruger Redhawk
Old 12-26-2004, 08:48 PM
Typical Buck

Well i went and got the ruger m77 markII in left hand 25-06 and sighted it in. I had a Bushnell elite 3200 put on it after sighting it in i was putting 3 shot groups in 3/8 in basically all in one hole. I was very happy to be shooting sub MOA and showed up my neighbor with his remington
Old 12-26-2004, 11:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have the older ruger MK ll in 25-06 I just bought it but its been in the store for several years. I am very happy with the accuracy so far. It just puts them right on the money every time. In a week I will get a chance to try it it for the last rifle doe season in SD. I have not used the 25-06 in many years although I have been shooting the 257 Roberts for deer with great success. I have loaded one box of 100 grain Corlokts, abox of 100 grai Ballistic tips and a box of 115 grain ballistic tips. I have a box of factorty 115 Winchester ballistic silvertips and a box of 100 grain Federal premiums with Barnes XLC 100 grain bullets. I wanted to load 100 grain Nosler partitions but I could not find any in time. I will report on it after the hunt.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:14 AM

I also have a Ruger M77 in 25.06 but it is the older tang safety style. With the right ammo it is very accurite. Also deadly poison on deer.

Good Luck with Your Gun
Old 12-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: James B

In a week I will get a chance to try it it for the last rifle doe season in SD. I have loaded one box of 100 grain Corlokts, abox of 100 grai Ballistic tips and a box of 115 grain ballistic tips. I have a box of factorty 115 Winchester ballistic silvertips and a box of 100 grain Federal premiums with Barnes XLC 100 grain bullets. I wanted to load 100 grain Nosler partitions but I could not find any in time.
how much shootin' you plan on doin!!! I mean 12 of us went to Nova Scotia this year, and I dont think combined we took that much ammo!!

seriously though, I own an M77 MKII in 25-06 left handed (thanks ruger for making this) and its shoots very comfortably, I found it did not like corlokts, but did like 117 gr Sierra gamekings in Fed premiums. I now reload for it, though.