Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wounded deer part II

Old 12-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Wounded deer part II

So it's safe to say that most of us agree that poorly placed shots wound deer, not the caliber of gun right?

So how come so many insist that it is "unethical" to hunt deer with small caliber guns if the caliber of gun is not ultimately responsible for unrecovered wounded deer?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Wounded deer part II

so would you hunt deer with a bb gun? No...
would you hunt deer with a .22 short? No...
would you hunt deer with a .22 LR? No...
would you hunt deer with a .222/.223? No... (If you are ethical!)
-Why? Because it is not a deer cartridge! Therefore it should be used as it is intended as a GREAT varmint round.
would you hunt deer with a .243? Yes... (Because it is a deer cartridge tried and true!)

This too be continued... Aren't you guys sick of discussing the .223 as a deer cartridge?

By the way I think it is unethical to shoot with open sights unless you have shot enough to know you are a good shot. I ALWAYS hunt with a scope, because I don't trust myself. I know there are some out there whom are good enough, but more often than not the people around me that miss, miss because they have open sights. I will not let anyone hunt on my land with open sights.... Or hunt deer with a .223.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:22 PM

good job prooving your point i think it is funny how some peaple think you have to have this one round, or call, or rifle. to hunt each game deer, elk, coyote, hog. and so on.... i feel you should use what ever is legal, that you feel comfertable with. and you trust to do the job at hand. the other day i took my 9 yr old son rabbit hunting and the game ranger told us that we should use a 12gage with ulta 3"mags for rabbit. lol next they will say you can not kill a deer if unless you use a 400grain super ultamag. dont you know if you blow the deer in half it is easier to carry bake to the trucklol i wounder it an AT4 would be ethical? all ready cooked!
just thought i would have some fun with this post
Old 12-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would say because even with proper placement, some calibers lack the horse power to penetrate enough or expand enough to do enough damage to make a clean kill. A good bullet with a high sectional density in 25 caliber on up has that required horse power for deer and most other big game.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:53 PM

by the way i use a 308win for deer,coyote,hog... it does the job very well so does my 30-30.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:16 PM

smaller calibers don't have the shock power of larger calibers leaving less room for error using smaller caliber.
Old 12-23-2004, 03:26 PM

newguy23 are you smoking crack? what is wrong with open sights? now you are saying it is unethical to use open sights! now i know where all the crap is comming from! thanks for letting me know not to listen to anything you say!
Old 12-23-2004, 03:32 PM

if i HAD to pick up a gun i have never shot before and shoot at something i would much rather use open sights then a scope. scopes can easily get knocked off sight and what not where the open sights seem to stay in the same place unless you move them.

with that said i would rather hunt with a scope because it magnifes your target and you can see if any small sticks or trees might be in you way.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM

I will not let anyone hunt on my land with open sights....
If you carry concealed it must be pretty hard to conceal your rig with the scope and all .
Old 12-23-2004, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel that the 243 ,6mm Rem lack the margin or error in penatratin that a 25 cal 115 or heaver have . A 243 is marginal deer rnd. IMO . I have seen it fail to penatrate far enough to humainly kill .

Quick Reply: Wounded deer part II

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.