Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wounded deer part II

Old 12-31-2004, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Wounded deer part II

ORIGINAL: Judson

most bow hunters are far better hunters then most gun hunters.
how many hunters do you know personaly? how do you think you can speak for all hunters? why do you preach what you dont know? by the way a broad head kills by cutting its way through a deer. and a bullet kills by shock i shot a deer in the sholder with a 243 at 175yds and it blew the deers guts out the other side with a masive hole. i would say that little bullet did a lot more damage than a broad head ever could have. so your not bull****ing meon this one.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:09 AM
bigcountry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Judson

most bow hunters are far better hunters then most gun hunters.

how many hunters do you know personaly?
I happen to agree with judson on this point. I guess I have known 100-200 hunters. 75 were serious bow hunters (ie spend 2 or 3X as much time in the woods with a bow than a gun). The 75 seemed much more prepared for gun hunting than the only gun hunters. If they bow hunted the areas where they gun hunted, they knew much more about the land, much more about deer movement in general.

Night, don't think this is too much of a secret to have to know 1000 hunters and do a survey.

Old 01-01-2005, 07:52 PM

How maney bow hunters do I know, many, my self I hunt with a Penobscot bow which I do not think you know about but it is a primitive bow dating back in design about 1500 years, far longer then that .243. For your information both bullets kill by destroying vital organs and causing massive hemerage so they are not so far different. But with a arrow with a good broad head you usually get a exit hole and a good blood trail. As for the 175 yards good shot, but not really hunting if you want to put it in the bow hunting perspective. Hitting a deer size target at 175 yards with a .243 is not much of a feat. Try the same shot at Bow range say 25 yards or less. If you had to shoot that deer at 175 yards then you need to practice your stalking skills. I think you might find hunting a bit more fun if you learned how to get close and personal, this 175 yard stuff does not even qualify on a deer size targer as accurate shooting. Killing a deer at that range with a .243 is chilsd play try primitive or if you want to use a rifle get in close it is not the kill it is the hunt that counts. A cape buff at 175 yards is not dangerous game, at 25 yards it is!!!

Oh yes, as to how many hunters do I know, well It is how I make my living, you see I build custom rifle mostly dangerous game rifles. We work from the stock blank and build the rifle to fit the customer, so I do know one or two.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry...lol...you grew up bowhunting the same places I hunt. You know that if you see 5 deer on an all day sit you are in a hotspot here...lol. Many days of no deer is not uncommon. You LEARN quick that there is no substitute for scouting and I mean tons of it! The guys that kill the large bucks here year in and year out with the bows..well quite simply I would put them up against any hunters anywhere.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:56 PM
bigcountry

build the rifle to fit the customer, so I do know one or two
Yea, but they are all high end yups that need a back rub while shooting thier cape buffalos in a back of a truck to afford those rifles.

I know alot of hunters most are plumbers/machinist/ferryman/policemen type guys. None of them would dream on a custom gun you are selling. And yes a few have been to South Africa.

Don't take offense. Just giving you a hard time. Kinda

Old 01-03-2005, 12:58 PM
bigcountry

you see 5 deer on an all day sit you are in a hotspot here
Yea, but those Mingo, logan, and Wyoming county bucks you do see are well worth it. Espeically near twin falls park. Know firsthand. Me and a buddy are thinking of leasing some bow hunting land there next year and spending all week bowhunting it in peak rut.

Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 PM

True, but those high end Yups and vustom rifles are how I get to go to Africa but I can not afford to shoot a buff yet. You know, most of the people who go to Africa are working stiffs who save up for the trip. South Africa is really a good deal and worth saving up for, when are you going to go? Once you do you will never be the same and that once in a life time trip will get you planing for the next, it is addictive. By the way I am planing trip #3 so you want a custom rifle?
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
bigcountry

when are you going to go?
Actually funny you ask. Been considering for 5 years. A cop friend has been twice and cost him 8K for 5 animals. I think he somehow flys for free and gets the inoculations free. But have been wasting money going to Canada in the last few years. Can't really do both. But definately considering. Not really interested in cape at all. But really interested in Eland and kudu. Thats my main attraction. I think its a awesom animal. Also the warthog is pretty wild. Sable and Oryx would also be a draw for me.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

it is unethical to hunt with a small caliber not becuase of there diameter the there energy on impact. there you go.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:13 PM

lol all i can say [email protected]

Quick Reply: Wounded deer part II

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.