Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Failures

Old 12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bullet Failures

I have yet to see this blow up thing. And have shot BT's at 20 yards at 3100fps.
I have shot game at 25yards with ballistic tips at 3500fps and have yet to witness this blow up thing.There is usually a fair sized exit hole but usually the bullet does exit.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:46 AM
bigcountry

I don't know broey, you still had 300win mags, 7mmremmags, and weatherby's. All kicking right behind the RUM's

Old 12-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

What I have seen with Ballistics tips is this. From a 7MM Reminton Mag with which I have shot a lot of game animals, I have seen the 140 glance off of rib bones and turn 90 degree corners and exit out the hind quarter or in front of the front shoulder. This I have seen with my own eyes more that a few times. This with broadside close range shots. The animals went down like a bag of rocks but I would not call that real good performance. However when the animal drops then you can't really call it bullet failure. The only bullets that I ever saw really blow up were 90 grain bullets fired at deer with a 270. Thats not bullet failure either because that is a varmit bullet doing just what it is supposed to do. Shot placement and bullet choice. It all comes down to that. It is true that forums like this expose us to the expierence of many more hunters than word of mouth could ever do. Thats a good thing.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot placement and bullet choice. It all comes down to that.
DITTO James!

I've heard lots of bad feedback on the ballistic tips but also wonder how much of it comes from someone who has actually used them. I don't use them because i've never seen the need to fix what ain't broken. I shoot soft points, always have, always will. Is it because i think the poly tipped bullets won't work, absolutely not! I just prefer the soft points and have always been able to get very good accuracy with them and their performance on game has always been excellent.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have recovered a few bullets from game over the years i have hunted. Some i didn't like the looks of and a few that i thought were doing their job. Yes people make poor shots on game for varied reasons. If people would look at what they shoot out of their rifles as closely as what they put into their mouths. Then things would change ! SD as in used with bullet performance. Pick the right one for the caliber and rifle you shoot. Deer should be harvested with bullets of anSD of240 or better bigger game a higher SD![&:]
Old 12-27-2004, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

SD as in used with bullet performance. Pick the right one for the caliber and rifle you shoot. Deer should be harvested with bullets of anSD of240 or better bigger game a higher SD!
Bullet construction is far more important than sectional density where penetration and weight retension are concerned.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like bullets with sectional dnsity of 210-240 for deer. Just my preference.